Does Markerplace Call Insured to Ask for Income Info?

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
A client told me she received a call from someone claimed to be a marketplace representative and was asked to provide monthly income information. She wondered this was a scam or legit request. Has anyone heard anything like this?

TIA.

A client told me she received a call from someone claimed to be a marketplace representative and was asked to provide monthly income information. She wondered this was a scam or legit request. Has anyone heard anything like this?

TIA.

Ok, I'll be the only adult agent (Kasich) in the room and answer the question.
It's somebody else' turn next month.

I'll also take it that you're really new to ACA, part time, or not at all.

Yes, the marketplace requires income documents for about 1/3rd of all apps.
Yes, they sometimes are calling clients if they are close to deadline (3 months from Application date).
Yes, they can upload the documents to their account, or send in the mail.
Don't provide anything over the phone to the rep calling, just tell the client to look at the 20 letters they received from the Marketplace, or download it from their marketplace account (or state exchange)

Ok, I'll be the only adult agent (Kasich) in the room and answer the question.
It's somebody else' turn next month.

Thanks Yagent, I found this on HC.gov:

https://www.healthcare.gov/how-can-i-protect-myself-from-fraud-in-the-health-insurance-marketplace/

There is a section "if you get a call from the marketplace" on the page.

The client and I are both aware of the need to submit income verification, but didn't expect they would call.

In this case, it did catch her attention.

OMG!

------------
The Marketplace representative may ask you the following:

To verify your identity, using information you provided on your application, including your full name and address.
To provide or verify your Social Security number, application ID, policy ID, user ID, date of birth, or phone number.
To verify or provide income, household, and employment information, but NOT personal financial information, like a bank name and account number. They will also not ask about any personal health information, like your medical history or conditions. (If you’re applying for certain Marketplace exemptions, you may be asked to provide medical documentation.)

Back