Does "old School" Marketing Still Work

I was listening to a podcast earlier today and it was all about "marketing your brand."

Of course they all talked about twitter, Facebook, webpages, mobile apps, etc. However I'm trying to do this part time with a minimum of expenses. I can't afford all that, nor am I knowable enough to even know where to begin.

So...do things like newspaper ads, posters, offering to give talks at a health fair, etc still work?

I'm curious to hear your opinions and smart ass comments (and I know a few of you will provide that in spades)...but it is a serious question.

I was listening to a podcast earlier today and it was all about "marketing your brand."

Of course they all talked about twitter, Facebook, webpages, mobile apps, etc. However I'm trying to do this part time with a minimum of expenses. I can't afford all that, nor am I knowable enough to even know where to begin.

So...do things like newspaper ads, posters, offering to give talks at a health fair, etc still work?

I'm curious to hear your opinions and smart ass comments (and I know a few of you will provide that in spades)...but it is a serious question.

One very "old school" method of marketing that still works is cold door knocking(and it's cheap). You can to it with a targeted data list, or door to door. It's not for everyone...especially the weak and squeamish.:yes:

One very "old school" method of marketing that still works is cold door knocking(and it's cheap). You can to it with a targeted data list, or door to door. It's not for everyone...especially the weak and squeamish.:yes:

Dude....I have the bladder of a little girl. This is not for me.

But lets get serious for a moment.....you do bring up a good point.

A salty old dog's thought on "old school marketing." There is an enormous amount of BS in today's marketplace about the power of social media and digital marketing. In general they are marketing methods that work for people that use social media and digital marketing to try to convince old-school people that they are hopelessly behind the times. It is a terrible mistake to drop solid fundamental sales/marketing techniques in the hope that hordes will suddenly follow you on Twitter.

Yes-I ran the gamut-from looking down the business end of a shotgun held by a person I would swear was a sterotype of the type of person that would kill civil rights workers in the south--to we just started supper-pull up a chair and sit down!

Do you have to register with police departments when doing door to door insurance sales?

----------

Dude....I have the bladder of a little girl. This is not for me.

But lets get serious for a moment.....you do bring up a good point.

If you work in an urban setting that is at least large enough to have a "gulp and go" type fuel stop, and you can go for an hour at a time, you can probably make it work from that perspective.

look at limitless84's post here:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/final-expense-forum/how-do-i-get-more-doors-t61969-2.html
for an idea about a way to approach this.

LD, more and more towns are starting to require a license and charge a daily fee(like $10 per day). The town I live in just started it and even though I live here, I have to pay to play here. Damn it!

LD, more and more towns are starting to require a license and charge a daily fee(like $10 per day). The town I live in just started it and even though I live here, I have to pay to play here. Damn it!

License is bad enough. Fee sucks. We'll blame it on the magazine salespersons. :D

If you ask at City Hall (or other city gov't building) they will tell you to buy a permit.

Ask an actual police officer. I did. He told me that if I had my insurance license on me and my DL, and I'm not soliciting cash, I should be fine. At most, they may run my DL, but I should be fine.

Your Mileage May Vary. Just be smart about it.

----------

License is bad enough. Fee sucks. We'll blame it on the magazine salespersons. :D

You can also blame it on fake home alarm salespersons who pose as salespeople to case out houses to rob later.

That's why you should carry a laminated copy of your insurance license - just to show that you are licensed by the state and truly are promoting your products/services.

Back