Does this Medicare/Medicaid Practice Happen in Your Area?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Through the years, I've noticed that some companies with separate Medicare Advantage and Medicaid contracts will solicit their Medicaid members who are known Duals (those who have Medicare and Medicaid). They give out these lists to local independent agents who phone these Medicare- Medicaid people or appear at their doorstep to entice with FREE additional benefits. And we KNOW how that crowd loves their free ****. When I first received one of these lists back in 2007, I was told to keep quiet about it. I didn't argue. Ever since then, the practice has become much more widespread. The carriers management "team" justify the practice by insisting that they are "existing customers" who are being offered another benefit through the company and of course appreciate "the numbers" to justify their jobs. By the same token, when we purchase individual insurance, should we expect our carrier to phone us to offer other offerings through their companies? I've received mailed solicitation before, but not very much in the way of phone calls, much less someone appearing at my doorstep.

Last edited:
Nothing exactly like that. QMB+ in our state has been taken to a direct carrier/state contract, no more agent selling.

All other LIS/special needs/dual/chronic illness situations are ok to write year round, within the rules. No lists, however.

Back