Does this Sound Right

DJAJ

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
My wife and I have our own auto policy through Safeco. We just moved her mother in to our house. She is currently with Allstate. Im going to write her auto, rental property, renters (my house) and umbrella policies through Safeco. However, I just got off the phone with an underwriter from Safeco and she tells me that my wife and I need to be rated or excluded from her auto policy, not just listed with own insurance EVEN though we have our policy with Safeco. When I rate us the premium jumps and screws the whole thing up. Is this right? If it is, what a crock of bs.

Yep that's how Safeco does it. Regardless of if the other policy is with Safeco also. I don't agree with it either but many carriers have moved toward doing this.

good luck moving your mother in law in w/ you...what are you thinking!?

Their concern is that if you aren't excluded, then they would have to pick up your first party benefits if you're injured in her car. Since you live there, you have access to that vehicle & it's risk they're assuming. Safeco's policies are very broad w/ how they interpret who's an insured.

Can't you put you and your wife as a non rated driver on your MIL's policy since you two has your own policy and vice versa? Wouldn't affect your rates than.

Which state are you in? Do the two policies have same bi/pd limit? Could it be the umbrella policy that causing the problem?

Back