Dog Bite Help - Nationwide

All

I have a prospective insured being non renewed by Nationwide for a dog bite claim they issued. Does anyone know of an insurer, can be non-standard that will accept their risk. The dog is a member of their family and giving the dog up is not an option. Also FYI I do not need any lectures on dog bites, or peoples right to have insurance, I am simply looking to see if there are any markets available-- thanks in advance,

Yes they would be open, Ive researched that maybe they can get liability just for the dog elsewhere. They’ve built a 6 foot fence, they now muzzle the dog at all times when walking it and had it in obidenance school and now it’s in some other type of training, socialization training. It happened the same weekend they adopted it and they were at Lowe’s who allows dogs in it. It sounds as if the claimant exaggerated the injuries.

E&S Market.... Don't burn up too much time on this. Gotta be brutal and look at what value you place on YOUR time... the hours you spend trying to save this client $20 could be spent dealing with 4 new clients. Their dog bit someone. Stats say it will happen again and thus insurance companies don't want anything to do with it... Give them an E&S quote which will protect them from financial ruin WHEN the dog bites again. If they choose to go elsewhere so be it.

E&S Market.... Don't burn up too much time on this. Gotta be brutal and look at what value you place on YOUR time... the hours you spend trying to save this client $20 could be spent dealing with 4 new clients. Their dog bit someone. Stats say it will happen again and thus insurance companies don't want anything to do with it... Give them an E&S quote which will protect them from financial ruin WHEN the dog bites again. If they choose to go elsewhere so be it.

To me when dealing with personal lines E&S is code for, you will waste your time. Maybe if it was an existing client and not a prospect and you could have an honest conversation upfront that it will cost more and cover less. But on a prospect, unless they already know it is going to cost a lot more and cover a lot less, it usually is just a time sink.

Even in small commercial E&S is often a time sink, particularly on new ventures who have unrealistic expectations on the premium.

Back