Doing Business with Shorten Names or Nick Names?

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
What do you guys think about using shorten names or nicknames for your insurance business?

If your name is John Smith, but people call you johnny smith, can you use johnny smith as your business card name, website name, etc...

or may Joe Smith, you tell everyone your name is Joe Smith, but your legal name is John Smith, how is the legalities of this?

If you tell everyone and do business under Joe Smith, but your legal name is John Smith, its not really a fake name or nickname just a more playful name.

You can use whatever name you want... as long as your state's department of insurance knows about it.

You may need to file an AKA or a DBA. Just call them and ask.

My name on my birth certificate is not what I go by. I go by my first initial, shortened middle name, and last name. That is the way everybody knows me and is the way it appears on most of my documents including drivers license. Never have a problem with it except for stuff that asks for first name and middle initial. In those case my first name is my first initial space and shortened middle name.

I use my full 1st name, middle initial and last name on everything legal and in business(including business cards). I go by my shortened 1st name and even though the full 1st name's on the cards, my customers call me by my shortened 1st name.

the only problem i see is

everyone know you as Joe Smith and when you do contract most people will put Joe Smith & Wahtever, but you always have to tell them to use John Smith.

And if you put your full name on business cards but tell people to use Joe, isnt it cumbersome to keep telling new acquaintance my name is Joe but the business card say John.

----------

My name on my birth certificate is not what I go by. I go by my first initial, shortened middle name, and last name. That is the way everybody knows me and is the way it appears on most of my documents including drivers license. Never have a problem with it except for stuff that asks for first name and middle initial. In those case my first name is my first initial space and shortened middle name.

Did you have to legally change this or do some paper work for your driver license?

everyone know you as Joe Smith and when you do contract most people will put Joe Smith & Wahtever, but you always have to tell them to use John Smith.

And if you put your full name on business cards but tell people to use Joe, isnt it cumbersome to keep telling new acquaintance my name is Joe but the business card say John.

I haven't had a problem with that. Just like when you call someone Mrs. Smith and she tells you to call her Mary. Some companies ask you on the contact info of the contracting if you use a nickname.

----------

Did you have to legally change this or do some paper work for your driver license?

No I just told them that was what I wanted. However, that was before 9-11 and all of the rule changes. I might not be able to get by with it if I were doing it today. My passport has my full legal name.

Last edited:
I go by Eddie on my cards and in my agency. When I use Edward, people call me Ed, and then they get confused because my dad goes by Ed. It doesn't help that we're in related fields: he does mortgages.

So yes, I use my nickname.

Back