Don't Get Discouraged...

M

Mike_Golden1

At the end of last week I started having a really tough time getting leads to listen to what I had to say on the follow up call. I must have burned through 50 leads in a few days with very little to show for it except some quote requests for marginal opportunities.

I was on the phone on Tuesday feeling down when I got a call from a lead from a few weeks ago that I had been unable to reach-he was interested in making a change for himself and a co-worker and it lead to 2 small apps yesterday (one of which was approved today).

I was still about $8K in Annualized Premium away from my weekly goal of $12K but, not being discouraged, got on the phone this morning with leads from the past few days and wound up getting an app after one phone conversation. Later on in the afternoon (about 5PM) someone called me who had just received a literature package today and was interested in changing insurance as quickly as possible-one appointment later another app was completed and my goal for the week exceeded.

On top of that, I have several appointments in the next few days that are, as a certain Moderator (who is burning it up right now) likes to say, 'a laydown'.

The point to this is to remind all of us that a few bad days doesn't mean that you have a bad business model, just keep plugging away and it will turn around. I am continually amazed at how many unfortunate people have really bad health insurance from companies like United American, Mega, and Midwest and how much they are paying for such crap.

I can have a day when I call leads for three straight hours (not cold calling, but calling leads) and get skunked. Nodda. Talk to person after person who blows me off, doesn't qualify, or displays almost zero interest: "Yeah....send me what you have and I'll get back in touch with you next week."

Once my attitude sinks I need to re-group. I can't continue to make calls when I'm getting my ass handed to me - it shows in my voice.

Then I start making more calls and I get those 2 or 3 people who actually want to use my services. I almost feel like saying "really? You're ACTUALLY interested?" And it's when I deal with those people who I actually help that rejuvinates me.

Every day I wake up I feel like a stage actor right as the curtains come up. Yes....yesterday's performace was great but will I blow it out my ass today?

I think what seperates the successful agents from non-successful ones is getting over the "stage fright" and just realizing that it's not personal, it's a numbers game, and you can have a very positive impact on the very few people you help.

This is not a high volume business people. 3 to 5 deals week in six figures. You might spend 4 to 5 hours a day just getting those 3 to 5 deals which is a LOT of getting told "I'm not interested."

I've had many weeks I couldn't give it away all week long then end up pulling a out a good week on Friday or go blank a week then write everyone I talk to the next week.

I've had many weeks I couldn't give it away all week long then end up pulling a out a good week on Friday or go blank a week then write everyone I talk to the next week.

Couldn't sell call girls on a troop ship!! I get that way sometimes< I usually take a day off, go fishing, recharge the ol' batteries and it seems to help. At least it helps the dat that I go fishin:D

At the end of last week I started having a really tough time getting leads to listen to what I had to say on the follow up call. I must have burned through 50 leads in a few days with very little to show for it except some quote requests for marginal opportunities.

I was on the phone on Tuesday feeling down when I got a call from a lead from a few weeks ago that I had been unable to reach-he was interested in making a change for himself and a co-worker and it lead to 2 small apps yesterday (one of which was approved today).

I was still about $8K in Annualized Premium away from my weekly goal of $12K but, not being discouraged, got on the phone this morning with leads from the past few days and wound up getting an app after one phone conversation. Later on in the afternoon (about 5PM) someone called me who had just received a literature package today and was interested in changing insurance as quickly as possible-one appointment later another app was completed and my goal for the week exceeded.

On top of that, I have several appointments in the next few days that are, as a certain Moderator (who is burning it up right now) likes to say, 'a laydown'.

The point to this is to remind all of us that a few bad days doesn't mean that you have a bad business model, just keep plugging away and it will turn around. I am continually amazed at how many unfortunate people have really bad health insurance from companies like United American, Mega, and Midwest and how much they are paying for such crap.
Would you send me one of your information packets?

Mike;

What does your Literature Package consist of... I just completed my first full week in the health biz, no sales but set 3 appointments, 2 for group (in person) and 2 phone appointment callbacks.

I have been sending an email with my contact info and links to my assurant quote site. The volume you are doing, you are definitely doing things right... would you consider sharing whats in the Lit Pkg and do you snail mail or email it?

Thanks in advance.

Al

I love the "my web page" link - have it on all my marketing material. Interesting to note that 229 people punched into my site last month yet only 60 were interested enough to run quotes.

mywebpagede4.jpg

Mike;

What does your Literature Package consist of... I just completed my first full week in the health biz, no sales but set 3 appointments, 2 for group (in person) and 2 phone appointment callbacks.

I have been sending an email with my contact info and links to my assurant quote site. The volume you are doing, you are definitely doing things right... would you consider sharing whats in the Lit Pkg and do you snail mail or email it?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Al,

My literature packge includes a Welcome Letter (which tells something about me and how I help clients), a one page flyer, a one page list of success stories, and a product brochure from one of my carriers.

I don't link to my website because I want control of the sales process, that might change down the road when I get more comfortable with the whole thing.

I both email and snail mail the same package-very often the lead doesn't even open the package but at least they know there is an envelope from me there. And sometimes the package gets them to call back, it really depends on how interested they are.

At the end of the day, most leads aren't very interested, in order to be sucessful, you need lots of leads. Even the ones that are interested won't necessarily do anything, particularly if they are uninsured.

Back