Don't Sell Med Supps!

Frank Stastny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Florida
I don’t think I have ever “sold” a Medicare Supplement Plan. If my goal was to simply make a sale I probably would have failed at this a long time ago.

People hate to be “sold” anything but they love getting help when making a purchase. I know nothing about anything electrical. But, if I go to a hardware store and there is someone there to answer my questions, an “expert”, and give me guidance/educate me then I usually come home with the parts necessary to fix the problem and they make a sale. I may be able to purchase the same stuff at Walmart for less money but there won’t be anyone there to help me understand what I need.

Doesn’t it then make sense that when talking to someone about insurance that they will appreciate it a lot more if I explain/educate them about the product they are looking for as opposed to simply trying to sell it to them? Aren’t they more likely to buy something they understand from the person who helped them understand it?

Forget the fancy Power Point presentations or using a laptop that requires the prospect to be sitting next to you, you can’t see their eyes or read their body language when they are sitting next to you. Forget the flip charts and canned presentations that sound like they are coming from a robot. Forget trying to make yourself sound important and official.

These people are seniors, they have been around the block many times. They have heard and seen it all. Gimmicks and tricks don’t work well with them. Be up front with them and just be yourself.

Sit down with your prospect and just have a conversation. Break everything down in basic and simple terms that you know they will understand. Remember, they are not insurance agents and probably know very little about insurance so don’t use insurance terminology. Don’t be rigid, relax and enjoy yourself.

Put selling them something out of your mind and guide them to the company and plan that is going to be the best investment of their premium dollar.

They don't always know what's best for them. Many times letting them choose isn't going to be in their best interest. You are the Medicare Expert, be decisive in your recommendations. If they knew as much about it as you do then there would be no reason for them to be talking to you.

excellent point about don't be rigid, relax and enjoy yourself. Seniors don't like pushy hard closing sales people.....hell, no one does. If you're friendly and laid back while you're educating them and making suggestions you'll usually gain a client. I can't tell you how many times I've had a potential client call me and say I'm going with you because you didn't try and push me into buying something or call me 4 or 5 times afterwards like the other agents

You know, I just got started, like 2 weeks ago, and I've got a meeting to close ratio of 1 in 3, (hope THAT continues! :) ) and I think in part it's because I don't go in thinking I'm going to 'sell' them anything. I present myself as someone who helps navigate the Medicare process and offer prices on several different companies that offer med supps. By the end of the meeting, I don't hardly have to 'ask for the sale', they pick one and say "I'll take that one, what's next?" The few I have not 'sold', it's either because I didn't realize going into the meeting that they didn't need it (have insurance with husband/wife), or they are going to have me come back in a month, like after they go on vacation or whatnot.

I'm cold calling from lists of people turning 65, and it's not exactly hard. Just time consuming, doing the calls. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. I love meeting with the folks, and more often than not, I'm getting hugs and all sorts of thanks for helping them understand Medicare! It's a good feeling!

Frank, I don't know if it's you I spoke to on the phone back in November, but if it was, I appreciate the conversation. I'm sorry I didn't get back with you like I was supposed to, but I found a lady right in my area that was willing to help me get going, and an agency (financial advisors) who were looking for a person to join the team who would sell med supps and life insurance exclusively for them. It's a perfect fit for me.

I still think you need to present all their options and let them decide because everyone is different. If you are not at least showing them the MAPD plans you are doing them a disservice. Just because you may not like them does not mean it is not what they want. I thoroughly explain A, B, C and D of Medicare and go over what the Med Sup plans cover and also go through the MAPD plan and then let them decide.

There's no way in meeting a client for an hour you can recommend which plan is right for them. Some have been used to copays for 40 years and do not mind paying to go to the Dr. or hospital if they can get their health insurance plus a prescription drug plan for $0 premium.

I totally agree about not being pushy but do not agree about steering them one way or the other, in fact I'm pretty sure Medicare doesn't want you steering them either. Just my opinion.

Right now I am doing 50% Med Sups and 50% MAPD plus a GTL hospital plan and I let every one of the client's decide themselves which they prefer.

I'm sitting around waiting for the pistol range to open.

Sounds like you have gator problems. Just make sure you kill them with the first shot. They get real angry if you just wing them.

There's no way in meeting a client for an hour you can recommend which plan is right for them.

Who spends an hour explaining Medicare options? I rarely spend more than 20 minutes and close better than half the folks I talk with . . . and I don't do face to face.

I also don't offer MA plans and let them know up front if that is what they want I can give them a referral to someone who handles that for me. If their mind is made up already they get the referral. If they are still trying to decide, I explain the difference in gap vs MA in about 5 minutes.

Most of the time they decide to go for the gap plan.

50% Med Sups and 50% MAPD plus a GTL hospital plan

Is the HIP for your benefit or theirs?

I still think you need to present all their options and let them decide because everyone is different. If you are not at least showing them the MAPD plans you are doing them a disservice. Just because you may not like them does not mean it is not what they want. I thoroughly explain A, B, C and D of Medicare and go over what the Med Sup plans cover and also go through the MAPD plan and then let them decide.

There's no way in meeting a client for an hour you can recommend which plan is right for them. Some have been used to copays for 40 years and do not mind paying to go to the Dr. or hospital if they can get their health insurance plus a prescription drug plan for $0 premium.

I totally agree about not being pushy but do not agree about steering them one way or the other, in fact I'm pretty sure Medicare doesn't want you steering them either. Just my opinion.

Right now I am doing 50% Med Sups and 50% MAPD plus a GTL hospital plan and I let every one of the client's decide themselves which they prefer.

Are you presenting ma during the same appointment with med sup?

Back