Door hangers & postcards for not sold direct mail leads

I_C_BROKE_PPL

So what follow up are you guys doing for your not sold direct mail leads?

So not getting a direct mail lead on the phone or not getting them at the door is nothing new.....

I am new to the insurance industry but sales is sales and follow up should be the same. In my past sales job I would try calling at different times, drop a postcard after my 1st call, and then continue mailing a post card every 2 weeks for the first 6 weeks then once a month afterwards. Drive-by (door knocking) I would leave a door hanger after every visit (minimum 3 visits). It worked for me. I have been also told to use delivery notifications for no shows on appointments on these direct mail leads.... so that being said, would this follow-up plan work for this industry?

It's seems like some agents are trying to avoid letting these not sold leads know this is an insurance sales call, so what follow up works for you agents that fall into that category?

Would love to hear from guys that have actually tried door hangers, post cards, delivery notes, etc. for follow up on not sold direct mail leads and if it worked for them and if they had to tweak anything.

Idk. Follow up is great but me personally, I’d rather spend the least effort/money/energy following up with prospects who are avoidant.

They probably don’t have the money at that time or they’d be clients from hell

I just ask for their email, then do an autoresponder series to follow up with them that way. Then they can call me when they are ready.

Not trying to waste my gas, time, supplies on not interested or avoidant type prospects

I spend more effort following up with current clients and prospecting for new clients.

*I am a newer agent so take my tips however you’d like

So if you don't get someone on the phone a couple of times.... you move on?

When you door knock and they aren't there, what are you leaving behind to get them to call you?

I don't know, but if I am spending around $30 a lead, I am not going to move on after a few calls and a few door knocks. I do feel after a certain amount of attempts, that more passive attempts need to be applied (ie., postcards, door knock if prospect is in the same area of a newer prospect).

Emailing them is great if you have made contact with them to get their email.

Probably didn't make it clear in my original post but my scenario is for prospects you haven't had contact with yet.

Some prospects are just not ever going to respond to the first marketing piece or call you place to them.

Looking for ideas for a solid follow-up system for the not-solds that we are not able to make contact with yet.

Well it sounds like you are doing all you can do to follow up.

I believe the average time it takes to reach leads is 7-12 attempts.

After this they are simply dead leads at that point. IMO and I move on to people I can reach quicker.

Some people are just going to avoid being contacted and you won’t get a hold of them for a very long time....if ever.

If you are going to follow up with these type of prospects (who won’t answer your calls, won’t answer the door for you) then your best best IMO is to do the activities that take the least amount of time, effort, money to stay in touch with them.

If you have to do all that work just to get a hold of them, imagine how much work you will have to do to keep them in as clients.

*when I door knock I leave delivery notice but I am debating on whether or not I should use it anymore.

*i door knock if I’m out in the area already

Last edited:
I’ve always doorknocked my leads first, then call after the third try. I leave my business card with a handwritten “Sorry I missed you” note. That’s always gotten more callbacks for me than door hangers or “delivery” notices. If I haven’t connected with them by the third try, I’ll try to reach them by phone a couple of times. If I still can’t reach them, they go into my aged lead file. (Now, when I’m working aged leads, I do leave a door hanger if there’s no answer at the door. I also leave a door hanger if I go knock the house next door with no answer.)

Like you said it takes something an average of 7+ attempts to reach. I guess ill have to do some trial & error and see what works for me. These not-solds leads with no contact are being worked while also working new leads.

Anyone else what shed some light on how you handle not-sold/no contact leads?

Anyone else what shed some light on how you handle not-sold/no contact leads?

About once a month I stop by a door where I don't even have the lead in my hand but I know that I have knocked that door 10 times in the past year and a half, and don't you know I often get in on that eleventh knock and make the sale ... "OMG I can't believe you're here! Holy smokes! I've been trying to meet with you for EIGHT. TEEN. MONTHS! You probably don't even remember sending back that little card about the 2018 benefits for PA residents. Well lucky you didn't answer the door in 2018, 'cause the 2019 benefits are EVEN BETTER! May I come in?"

Fvck if I don't love door knocking.

It doesn't just work for DM. I knocked a 33 day old TM lead yesterday - $522 FE AP ... eventually, they will open that f'n door.

Last edited:
*when I door knock I leave delivery notice but I am debating on whether or not I should use it anymore.

I leave delivery notices - made three sales last week because of it. Two left voicemails telling me when they'd be home the next day. One didn't leave a voicemail but I knew she was home (how else did she call the delivery notice) and I high tailed it back over there. I have many others that I never hear from - likely because they know that delivery notice is some damn insurance agent lol ... It is not unusual for me to find and replace another agent's delivery notice while out door knocking - probably once or twice a month. I'm sure they do the same to me. Funny thing is it is almost never the same agent. There are apparently scads of freshly recruited FE agents in my part of PA. Replaced four new policies in the last week that were either not competitive or GI where GI wasn't necessary. FE recruiting is the new Amway lol

So not getting a direct mail lead on the phone or not getting them at the door is nothing new.....

I am new to the insurance industry but sales is sales and follow up should be the same. In my past sales job I would try calling at different times, drop a postcard after my 1st call, and then continue mailing a post card every 2 weeks for the first 6 weeks then once a month afterwards. Drive-by (door knocking) I would leave a door hanger after every visit (minimum 3 visits). It worked for me. I have been also told to use delivery notifications for no shows on appointments on these direct mail leads.... so that being said, would this follow-up plan work for this industry?

It's seems like some agents are trying to avoid letting these not sold leads know this is an insurance sales call, so what follow up works for you agents that fall into that category?

Would love to hear from guys that have actually tried door hangers, post cards, delivery notes, etc. for follow up on not sold direct mail leads and if it worked for them and if they had to tweak anything.

Spend $1 and re-mail the person a nice letter, a copy of the original lead, some medicare brochures and a Final Wishes type product . . .

Back