Door knocking aged leads?

Willie2358

Expert
So I had an idea to door knock my aged direct mail leads as the problem I'm having right now with calling aged leads is that no one remembers filling them out how smart or smart would it be that once I have my aged lead to take the lead card with me with their had writing to gain access while having a quote for the protection they were requesting at the door. To treat the lead card as an assumed appointment?

So I had an idea to door knock my aged direct mail leads as the problem I'm having right now with calling aged leads is that no one remembers filling them out how smart or smart would it be that once I have my aged lead to take the lead card with me with their had writing to gain access while having a quote for the protection they were requesting at the door. To treat the lead card as an assumed appointment?

If you give them a quote at the door, your likelihood of getting in the door and making a sale is just about zero.

Get in the door, then make a final expense sales presentation ... then close the sale.

"We got your request for the state regulated programs to pay for your burial or cremation so the cost doesn't fall on your family to pay. I just need a few minutes to go over the information with you. Do you have a place we can sit down real quick?"

EDIT: even better would be to ask "where can we sit down real quick?" ... my first version makes it too easy for them to say no.

Last edited:
You can run through the list like a telemarketer.

Then DK the ones who dont answer. Many addresses will have changed. Most people who are interested will ask you to come back at x-date and x-time. If you are in a rural area you will get more people who invite you in but waste your time.

Be prepared for changed addresses, old numbers, nobody EVER being home, and people being home and not answering the door.

Good plan, but instead of actually having a quote prepared, do as Benedict says at the door "it just takes a few minutes to give you a free quote and I'll be on my way"

I tried this when I first started in the business, but hopefully yours won't be 8 years old, as very few of mine were still at the same residence or still alive. The ones who were alive looked at me like an alien for holding an 8 year old information request. I'm sure with a good mentor I could have still turned a couple sales out of it but I was too green. It was extremely discouraging considering these were all in the worst neighborhood of Miami and half of them had dog fences surrounding their little houses which weren't to keep dogs in but people out! I had to get away from FE for a time until I could find a company better suited to training a newby.

Good plan, but instead of actually having a quote prepared, do as Benedict says at the door "it just takes a few minutes to give you a free quote and I'll be on my way"

Excellent point ... also Benedict didn't seem to put much importance on the age of a lead. When I listen to his talk on door knocking, it is evident that he will keep after a lead for years. Even if he gets in to make a presentation, if the lead didn't buy that day, he puts it in another folder to "ferment" for a few years and then he'll go back again, because something may have changed that would now make the lead more receptive to buying life insurance.

Doug Massi says that he will buy up any unworked DM lead in his area regardless of age. He does not let the age of the lead be a deterrent when it comes to direct mail leads.

I had my best month so far in September, and half of what I wrote was from aged leads, some of which were not from my own mailings. I have so many unworked aged leads that I could probably shut my direct mail down for two months or more and not run out of doors to knock. It probably would not affect my production as many of the leads rolling in from fresh mail are duplicated, some more than once, in my aged lead file I carry with me in my car. An agent should focus on the "lead" portion and not the "aged" portion of an "aged lead."

One thing I would do is this: If you have an aged lead that says "2017 Benefit Information" or even older (I recently sold a policy to a 2016 DM lead I had bought from @Rearden almost two years ago) I take a black sharpie and redact that from the lead. So when I show them the lead card, they see "for Pennsylvania Citizens" but not the fact that it was mailed a year or two ago.

The goal, as Benedict's line shared by krobby underscores, is not to give them a quote at the door so they can porch you and let you think "well I tried." The goal is to get in the door and give a final expense life insurance presentation.

When they say they don't remember or did not send it in, I will say, "Well,I don't know who sent it in but if it wasn't you, it was someone who CARES about you and thought you would benefit from having this information"..

When they say they don't remember or did not send it in, I will say, "Well,I don't know who sent it in but if it wasn't you, it was someone who CARES about you and thought you would benefit from having this information"..

Dang, Louis, I don't know if it would work on my leads when I get that but it sure would work on me ... I'm going to put that in my quiver with my other Arrows of Rebuttal. Good share! :noteworthy:

You can run through the list like a telemarketer.

Then DK the ones who dont answer. Many addresses will have changed. Most people who are interested will ask you to come back at x-date and x-time. If you are in a rural area you will get more people who invite you in but waste your time.

Be prepared for changed addresses, old numbers, nobody EVER being home, and people being home and not answering the door.
I know you're talking DM leads, but as far as changed addresses...I just got a call from someone that was referred to me from a referral from a cold door knock a few years ago.

I was working a targeted data list and the person I was looking for didn't live there anymore. The lady that did live there had been there a couple of months. She thought it was cool that guys still knocked doors, she didn't know that was still done. To make a long story short, I replaced her Med Supp. I've had 3 people call me that she referred to me. Automatic sales. 4 clients and 8 policies off a wrong address. Now I'll be writing at least one more policy on a new client that was a referral from a referral.

Moral of the story....wrong addresses can be good. :yes:

Back