Door Knocking for Med. Sup. and FE

I have been approached by Mutual of Omaha to sell Medicare Supplements and FE, among other products. I have heard of agents who sell both door to door. They get a list of prospects and knock on 50 or so doors in a neighborhood. They get a couple of sales, maybe some referrals from the sales, and continue each day. Does anyone on the forum sell exclusively door to door or is this to simplistic?

I have been approached by Mutual of Omaha to sell Medicare Supplements and FE, among other products. I have heard of agents who sell both door to door. They get a list of prospects and knock on 50 or so doors in a neighborhood. They get a couple of sales, maybe some referrals from the sales, and continue each day. Does anyone on the forum sell exclusively door to door or is this to simplistic?

Ok here's what you do. Call the person up that told you about the opportunity. Tell them you would like to shadow them for 3 full days to actually see for myself how this works and if I think it is something I can do. Now say look I'm not talking about shadowing you in the office I'm talking about shadowing you in the field knocking doors and writing biz from that. If they agree to this go check it out, if not tell them to BLANK themselves.

I went door to door for a long time. I used it as a filler between appointments or on days I did not have a lot going on. You cannot expect for one marketing method to keep you in business. Sure, you can have a primary method, but the more marketing efforts you have working for you, the more leads you will receive.

When I did FE, I had funeral info with me. Try this site:
FCA is a nonprofit federation of consumer organizations dedicated to ensuring consumers can choose a meaningful, dignified, and affordable funeral
I know the local chapter here puts out an average cost report for most of the funeral homes in KC. I would pass those out and talk about how I can help the family cover those costs.

learning to sell door to door is the best way to start. Not just the selling part but learning to get over call reluctance is huge, and there's no better way than door knocking. GL

I went door to door for a long time. I used it as a filler between appointments or on days I did not have a lot going on. You cannot expect for one marketing method to keep you in business. Sure, you can have a primary method, but the more marketing efforts you have working for you, the more leads you will receive.

FCA is a nonprofit federation of consumer organizations dedicated to ensuring consumers can choose a meaningful, dignified, and affordable funeral
I know the local chapter here puts out an average cost report for most of the funeral homes in KC. I would pass those out and talk about how I can help the family cover those costs.

May I ask what you said to them at the door when you handed them a pricing sheet?

How much FE did you sell using that?

When I started D2D canvassing was our primary form of prospecting. I was with a debit company and was an agent in the field for 21/2 years.. During that time I was always the leading agent in the district and on the company leader board. Then after a couple of years as a staff mgr. I went independent. Moved into a different market and started to prospect primarily using referrals.. When things got slow I canvassed. I was always able to close at least one sale per day whenever I spent the day canvassing. But, as the old saying goes, "If it works, don't do it". so I quit.. Production dropped but by then I had a hard time going back to canvassing.. more or less helped me make up my mind to go into the antique business. Canvassing is not for everybody. Some people will never be able to develop the stiff back needed but for those that will do it, it can be very profitable.

When I started D2D canvassing was our primary form of prospecting. I was with a debit company and was an agent in the field for 21/2 years.. During that time I was always the leading agent in the district and on the company leader board. Then after a couple of years as a staff mgr. I went independent. Moved into a different market and started to prospect primarily using referrals.. When things got slow I canvassed. I was always able to close at least one sale per day whenever I spent the day canvassing. But, as the old saying goes, "If it works, don't do it". so I quit.. Production dropped but by then I had a hard time going back to canvassing.. more or less helped me make up my mind to go into the antique business. Canvassing is not for everybody. Some people will never be able to develop the stiff back needed but for those that will do it, it can be very profitable.

Props to you guy that have the mucho grande cajones to cold call door to door to sell life insurance.

I am one of those people that don't even open the door if a solicitor knocks on my door ( man those magazines sellers are pushy) so i couldn't imagine buying any financial product from a stranger knocking on my door.

Also another reason i don't open the door is that my sales resistance skills are definitely not as good as my selling skills so I am afraid that maybe I would buy their product if I let them in and listened to sellers reasons why i should own the product they are selling- and I also might buy partly out of guilt because of the time the salesman spent with me.

I believe that it's an established fact that homeowners with "no solicitors" signs on their door have low sales resistance and selling to another salesman is usually some of the easiest sales.

For those of you whom have had success with door knocking, can you please speak to areas? For example, Do you think

agents will

find more success canvassing in rural and metro areas in contrast to the suburbs?

Also are you working apartment buildings, and/or houses, and/or trailer parks, and or all of the above?

Just wondering how much of an area
plays a role - leaving proximity out of the question.

I kindly thank you for your answers.

Know your neighborhood and community. I door knock in lower income neighborhoods that are more familiar and used to small face amount WL.

Back