Door Knocking for Personal Auto

Tyler Smith

Hello everyone,

I would like to add 1-2 hours of door knocking a day for personal auto. What is a good pitch, common objections and rebuttals while at the door?

I'm looking to add 3 to 5 additional policies a month with little to no cost associated with maybe the exception of gas and business cards.

I actually had good success with this the summer before last, but not the way you're describing. You don't want to be throwing rebuttals at people at their doorstep for auto insurance...it's not worth it.

I paid a couple kids to knock on doors, tell people we're an independent agency that represents a ton of companies and that we can usually save people a decent amount of money then hand out magnetic business cards. "Stick this on your fridge and give us a call anytime."

It more than paid for itself, which I didn't expect.

If you're ambitious enough to do the knocking yourself, you're better off doing it like that. If they have questions on the spot, great, but make it your mission to make people think you're friendly (NOT PUSHY, no rebuttals) and get them to put your magnet on their fridge.

I would like to add 1-2 hours of door knocking a day for personal auto. What is a good pitch, common objections and rebuttals while at the door?

This thread was made for @thomasm

I have not knocked for p&c leads but my understanding is that for those who do it is really about trying to get the prospect to agree to a free quote ...

"Hi ma'm/sir, we're out here talking with all the neighbors letting them know how much we can save them on their home and auto policies. I was just speaking with Mary across the street, and you know Joe and Ellen next door. You wouldn't object to a free quote would you?"

"I'm not interested/I'm happy with our current company/current agent/I don't have time/I'm busy now."

"I understand completely and the last thing I'd want to do is waste your time. However, since you happy with your current situation, then you must have enough confidence in your current agent to risk a second opinion. How long have you lived at this address?"

@Markthebroker could offer some suggestions for commercial lines and the importance of referrals.

@Markthebroker could offer some suggestions for commercial lines and the importance of referrals.

I suggest that referrals are important for commercial lines. :D

I couldn't help myself.

Basically, I think it's a bit silly to go out door knocking if you have any number of clients that you can ask for referrals. And by any number, I mean more than 2 or 3. And by asking for referrals, I don't mean just asking "Um, do you know anyone that wants to buy insurance?" If that's how you ask, you may as well not ask at all.

I understand a lot of people feel uncomfortable asking for referrals. I understand that. For me, failing as an agent and not being able to pay my bills is much more uncomfortable, but there you go. To each their own.

Basically when I have a closing appointment and I walk away with less than 3 referrals I consider it a failure and go back to my office and try to figure out what I did wrong. A few recent ones I left the appointment with over 10 referrals. As a matter of fact, each of those where I got over 10 referrals, I went back later and got more referrals. Below is an email to a friend of mine outlining the concepts.

Frank,

As far as referrals, it’s taken years to refine and perfect, but it was a complete game changer. I was getting so much business so easily after years and years of pounding the pavement and cold calling, I actually felt guilty. All cold calling and marketing has stopped some time ago, and it’s 100% referrals now. The barrier to entry is a little bit higher, but it will probably get you the most clients, with relatively little work once you get efficient with it. The clients you get from a system like this will generally be higher quality than the type of clients you get from any other cold calling, marketing, etc.

Basically I have a two pronged approach.

First, referrals from current clients, by asking for them in a very specific and targeted way and focusing on a niche that is the most capable of providing referrals.

Second, once you've gotten the technique down, I would suggest you share your techniques with others in the area as a form of relationship building, and then you can expect to get referrals from them. They key of course is that you take really really really good care of their clients, no matter what.

I would suggest you watch the video below at least once, and read the example of techniques I use below that. It’s not really a video, it’s more of a podcast from youtube, so you can listen while you are driving, or whatever. Also, I suggest you buy Sandy Schussel program. It's only $20 or $30 or something like that, and focuses on non commercial clients.

The concepts are fairly basic, the implementation is key, and will take months to implement and figure out, and years to perfect.

Here is an example of the sales process in regards to referrals. Normally I'm not this aggressive asking for referrals since I am already getting plenty, but this example displays all the techniques I use.

So, I meet with an auto body shop. I make it clear I almost exclusively work by referral, and I'd be asking him later for referrals for any other businesses that may be also interested in speaking with me (referral opportunity #1). I mention that starting a business is a big risk and frankly kind of scary. Does he have a friend, relative, etc that owns a business that inspired him/mentored him (referral opportunity #2). Most of the shop owners I work with used to work for another shop before they started their own shop. Where did he come from, perhaps I know them (referral opportunity #3), When I was going over his business, I asked if he had any other body shops he worked with or knew as I work with a lot of other shops in the area (referral opportunity #4). Who does he send out to for windshield work (referral opportunity #5). While I was asking about his business, I also asked if he had repair shops he networked with to get business (referral opportunity #6). Who does he order his paints from (referral opportunity #7)? Who does he order his parts from (referral opportunity #8)? When I come back and propose, assuming he buys, I'll remind him that I'd like to know if he has anyone else that owns a business that he can think of that may want to talk to me, that's another referral opportunity. Then, I'll pull out a sheet I compiled ahead of time with the 20 nearest large repair and body shops nearby, tell him I am thinking of introducing myself to them, and ask if he knows any of them. If he does, I'll ask for the best contact, and if it's ok to mention him and that he bought from me and I saved him money and gave him a better policy. Any name that came up from the prior referrals opportunities above, I’ll ask for permission to contact them and give a brief overview of how I helped him. Next, I’ll ask for permission to introduce myself to the neighbor to the left, to the right, behind and in front on my way out, while of course asking for the proper contact.

Finally, I'll call back 3 or 6 months from now to check on him. I'll ask if he mentioned to anyone that he moved his insurance, and what he told them. Assuming it was a positive conversation, I'll ask for permission to introduce myself to those people.

Last edited:
The concepts are fairly basic, the implementation is key, and will take months to implement and figure out, and years to perfect.

AjarFamousDipper-max-1mb.gif

personally instead of a business card I use fridge calendar recipe magnets with my contact info and logo. That way I am giving a person a thing of value that they can stick to their fridge. I always pause to show them how it notes the holidays every month and when I tear off the pages to get to "this" month I also let them have the recipes from prior months. All of this is goofy and time consuming, which breaks the tension and scales it back from my vending a specific product. I am helping them get to know me and asking stupid stuff about whether they like to cook or eat and who in their family does the cooking and eating (how many kids, grandkids?). Then I can sprinkle in the list of what I have to offer: Life, Medicare, LTC, Homeowners/Flood, auto, mortgage protection, etc. And I tell them about my family and why I care about helping people. I never knock on a door or encounter a potential client with a goal of selling a specific product. Instead it's about getting to know people and figuring out how my ideas can add value to their lives and those of their family/friends. Hope that helps!

This thread was made for @thomasm

I have not knocked for p&c leads but my understanding is that for those who do it is really about trying to get the prospect to agree to a free quote ...

"Hi ma'm/sir, we're out here talking with all the neighbors letting them know how much we can save them on their home and auto policies. I was just speaking with Mary across the street, and you know Joe and Ellen next door. You wouldn't object to a free quote would you?"

Delayed response here! Yes. The initial idea is to get them to agree to a free quote. But the ultimate reason I'm out there risking heat stroke is to get a lead quote sheet filled out. Well 5 or 10 actually that I take back to the office to quote the next day. I close a small percentage upfront but most of them are getting added to the x-date pipeline.

Back