Door Knocking

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
Door Knocking?

Does anyone on this forum go out and actually knock on doors?

I use to do it regulary but with all the no No Soliciting signs up now I have backed off.

Anyone go in anyways?

Yes, I do. I ignore the no soliciting signs unless they read "ABSOLUTELY No Soliciting." I've only had a handful of people ever say anything and if they do, I'm gone. I've gotten more than a handful of clients by walking in that had "no soliciting" signs.

I have many questions on this topic, for it will be my main marketing strategy at first. I plan on Ind. Health for small business owners, and was planning on nothing but ground and pound for the first few months to keep costs down.

Should I have a script prepared, if so any pointers? Should I just plan on introducing myself, if someone shows interest I say, give me 24 hours and I will have some comparisons? How indepth should I get at the point of introduction?

I have enough personality to get around the no soliciting sign issue, and if they persist, take care.

So if anyone has had success w/ this I would very much appreciate ANY tips.

I have many questions on this topic, for it will be my main marketing strategy at first. I plan on Ind. Health for small business owners, and was planning on nothing but ground and pound for the first few months to keep costs down.

Should I have a script prepared, if so any pointers? Should I just plan on introducing myself, if someone shows interest I say, give me 24 hours and I will have some comparisons? How indepth should I get at the point of introduction?

I have enough personality to get around the no soliciting sign issue, and if they persist, take care.

So if anyone has had success w/ this I would very much appreciate ANY tips.

"First few months"
First few years!
My first 3 years in the business I did direct mailers with call backs and door knocking. My % of closing was/is very low.
On the door knocking I was around 2-3%. So if I hit 100 businesses I would pick up 2 new group plans maybe 3. Then it would take 90 days to 6 months to close them. Average size group would be about 7 lives

What I do is I walk in the door Introduce myself and drop off a packet of information. Then I ask for the decesion makers card or if they are aviable to speak right now. Most of the time they are not so I just get the card and then call them back. 50% of the time the controller will take my call and I have about 1 minute to impress them over the phone before they would lose interest.

I have never had a canned speach and really just hit on topics of health insurance. I explain to them my abilities/services and that I will work very hard for them.
Maybe I need a canned speech?

My two cents worth:

Cloverleaf the businesses around where you have an appointment. Once your appointment is finished, then I would visit the immediate two or three businesses next to them.

Be honest. Today's business owners are busy, and rather sophisticated in the ways of being called on by someone they don't know.

Go in with absolutely nothing, except your business cards, a small pad of paper that fits in your pocket, and a pen.

(open the door)

"Hi, I'm Bob Levine.

Who would I need to stay in touch with, to talk about business insurance needs? (before they protest - hold your hand up and say) I know that you weren't sitting around waiting for me to stop by.

Just wanted to make an introduction. Who can I call back and ask for, or send information to?"

Don't try to B.S.

Don't try to sell.

Don't try to impress.

Make sure you ask for the correct spelling and pronunciation.

If you get, "What type of insurance do you sell?"

respond with:

Everything you got, and some you might not. What, in particular, would you be interested in seeing some information on?

If they ask you to leave something with them, other than your card, respond with:

I don't have that readily available. Like I said, I just finished working with (fill in prospect/clients name), and only brought that information with me. I just stopped in here to simply make an introduction. That's how business relationships are formed. Someone has to say Hello first, right?

I'd be more than happy to put something together. When would be a good time to call back? Or, is there any chance we could talk now, for a few minutes?

My two cents worth:

Cloverleaf the businesses around where you have an appointment. Once your appointment is finished, then I would visit the immediate two or three businesses next to them.

Be honest. Today's business owners are busy, and rather sophisticated in the ways of being called on by someone they don't know.

Go in with absolutely nothing, except your business cards, a small pad of paper that fits in your pocket, and a pen.

(open the door)

"Hi, I'm Bob Levine.

Who would I need to stay in touch with, to talk about business insurance needs? (before they protest - hold your hand up and say) I know that you weren't sitting around waiting for me to stop by.

Just wanted to make an introduction. Who can I call back and ask for, or send information to?"

Don't try to B.S.

Don't try to sell.

Don't try to impress.

Make sure you ask for the correct spelling and pronunciation.

If you get, "What type of insurance do you sell?"

respond with:

Everything you got, and some you might not. What, in particular, would you be interested in seeing some information on?

If they ask you to leave something with them, other than your card, respond with:

I don't have that readily available. Like I said, I just finished working with (fill in prospect/clients name), and only brought that information with me. I just stopped in here to simply make an introduction. That's how business relationships are formed. Someone has to say Hello first, right?

I'd be more than happy to put something together. When would be a good time to call back? Or, is there any chance we could talk now, for a few minutes?

Interesting what is your % of closing with this approach?

You posted that you should not try to impress?
That seems odd to me because what is going to make you stand out aginst there current broker?

People are looking for information. That is the case if you are cold calling or they are going on the web. Most want the opportunity to screw it up themselves without the help of an agent and feel they can get a lower price by cutting out the middle man.

If you try to razzle-dazzle them it will more often than not backfire.

Your demeanor will either make your visit memorable or not. The hope is the impression is favorable but if you are over the top you will be spotted a mile away.

The "low key" approach seems to work better than strutting your stuff.

At least that's the way business is done here . . .

What makes me stand out is that I'm real. I'm a human being, who isn't too slick, and has everything at the ready.

How can I? I've never met these people before.

The average consumer - whether it be for our industry, law, or any other service professional - is more sophisticated. They can gather SOME information on the internet. The rest they get from us. We need to treat these people with the respect they deserve.

Back