Door to door - Flyers for life insurance

Not to mention that this thread is far from the definitive authority of door-to-door marketing. Jmatos's thread is much better.

I'm looking to ramp up my life insurance production. We recently moved to a new suburb so I don't have much of a warm market. When the weather warms up a little I was thinking of walking my new neighborhoods and going door to door with a flyer. The flyer would contain a short bio about myself, an introduction to my agency, and an offer for a life insurance review.

I think I'll feel cheesy knocking on people's doors and handing them the flyer with a short "How are you? My name is George and I'm a new life insurance agent in town". The second alternative would be to just stick them in the door.

Do you think this is a positive way to get my name out in the community? What advice do you have?

I have a 60 year old agent that door knocks FE from a list, a few times a month, and makes a sale or 3 every day she goes out! It's nice when you are targeting a specific market with a list that has the prospects name, address and age on it.

Plus the FE market tends to be a little more approachable!:biggrin:

I did a week of door to door for FE once, you can get atleast a police a day doing it, but man I picked the hottest week to go out, which was the same area the two girls were being held captive by that wacko Ariel Castro, man talk about a ton of news vans etc. My car's AC also happened to not work that week, it was brutal on me and my feet. I was out this week for some Final Expense, almost felt like going down a few houses to see what I could get...

4 sales, I took the scraps, the small policies that I normally would turn down, had a decent one in there. I think I would be way more aggressive now, and I would cross-sell medicare and build up a lead list for Medicare season as I prospect for final expense. I never built up the list doing it, probably because I couldn't keep doing it.
Also, I did an urban area, which still sucked driving from place to place. Now I would go out of the area where the ma penetration is low so I could maybe pull a supp outa the deal.

I would say something like this, "Hello (name or not), my name is Justin and I have been talking to your neighbors about our state-regulated final expense plans (say slowly and nod twice), it only takes a few minutes to see what you qualify for, where can we sit down"?

Go for it.

In college I sold encyclopedias and knives door to door. Also knocked on dorm rooms selling financed life insurance.

That was enough for me.

Closest I come to it these days is calling someone that went to my site and ran a quote.

Most of the "hot" leads I ran for MP life insurance might as well have been cold knocking. Showed up at one house in the ghetto and the guy ran out the back door. Little girl that came to the door wanted to know if I was the social worker.

Back