Door to Door for life insurance

Sep 11, 2007

1. loginname

loginname Expert

I'm a life insurance agent that sells a variety of life insurance products including term, UL, and VUL.

I need to start generating some name recognition in my town and meet some more people. One idea I came up with is going door to door. It would be a simple introduction possibly with a door hanger if they are not home. I would simply say "I am a local life insurance agent and I'm trying to get out of the office and meet the people in my community. I offer life insurance planning for individuals and businesses. Would you be interested in a life insurance needs analysis and evaluation of your current policy?"

Would something like this work? Give me some advice. What do I put on the door hanger? What should be my starting line? I'm not feeling very creative today:(

2. Frank Stastny

Frank Stastny Guru

State:
    Florida
    For door to door yes, something like that would work very well. I would add one additional comment shown in red. "Would you be interested in setting a time that is convenient for you to have me do a quick insurance needs..."

If they say yes, you should tell you would be happy to do it now if they aren't too busy. That it will only takes a few minutes for them to get added piece of mind about their policies.

However, a presence in community activities and organizations will also serve you well. Join and participate in everything. Volunteer to be a part of what is going on in your community that will give you the greatest amount of exposure.

Be the "go to man" for life insurance.

3. loginname

loginname Expert

Thanks Frank. I am researching the local community organizations also. I will be getting involved at our new church also.

4. Insuranceman

Insuranceman Guru

Small towns & rural communities are the most reseptive. I was going door to door working off a senior list promoting med supps plans. Everyone one pleasant and I even made few sales and enjoyed myself untill I threw my back out getting in and out of my car all day.

I tried doing in the city and found people less receiptive. I will definately
    hit it again it small towns when I out running appointments.

5. Frank Stastny

Frank Stastny Guru

State:
    Florida
    Working "the city" sucks out loud! Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. That is why I limit all my contacts to "country folk".

Wear Levie's and a polo shirt, stand around the feed store, kick feed sacks, spit in the corner and say "gawd damn" a lot and they will love you. :D

6. loginname

loginname Expert

How about the suburbs? Any luck there? At least the houses are close together. My goal is to hit 25-50 houses per week. Maybe some more on Saturday mornings.

7. tommyk

tommyk Guru

suburbs are the same as a big city, they are still connected and think they all belong to one another. Find a small town away....

tommyk, Sep 12, 2007
  8. Frank Stastny

Frank Stastny Guru

State:
    Florida
    What Tommy said and practice spitting a lot. :yes:

9. c6_jake

c6_jake New Member

I agree, small town folks are much more receptive to the personal approach. Our local clients are very enthusiastic about an insurance man that is just like them.....not some guy in a suit that talks down to them. Just be one of the guys and you will get plenty of leads, thats how our whole business got started and were pushing a lot of premium off of that market alone

c6_jake, Sep 12, 2007
  10. BKrocko

BKrocko Guru

I've always heard that you should clip a note to a dog's collar asking if anyone would be interested in life insurance - then let him wonder around the neighborhood.

BKrocko, Sep 13, 2007