Door to Door for life insurance

I would reword it a little bit, but doorknocking is a great way to meet people, and get your name out.

"I am a local life insurance agent and I'm trying to get out of the office and meet the people in my community. I offer life insurance planning for individuals and businesses. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to review your current life insurance plans. Would you object to letting me review your current plan?"

A common reply to this is something to the fact that they don't think they need it reviewed, a waste of time, etc.

To which I reply.

"I understand that you don't think it would be worth our time, as do many of my clients before I get a chance to look into it. But I wanted to know if you would object to letting me review your current insurance plans.

I agree, small town folks are much more receptive to the personal approach. Our local clients are very enthusiastic about an insurance man that is just like them.....not some guy in a suit that talks down to them. Just be one of the guys and you will get plenty of leads, thats how our whole business got started and were pushing a lot of premium off of that market alone

I agree. Also, many rural areas are typically underserved by insurance agents. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that they called around and couldn't even get anyone to come out and see them.

Yea, I hear that a Pitbull is great for this!:D

That is one consideration for marketing door to door in more rural areas, i.e. a pit bull or something similar coming out and eating you up, since they are more likely to be roaming around loose.

I have gone door to door in other industries, but not in insurance. It may be workable in small towns, but the rural areas I had in mind earlier are generally not conducive to going door to door IMO.

I'm a life insurance agent that sells a variety of life insurance products including term, UL, and VUL.

I need to start generating some name recognition in my town and meet some more people. One idea I came up with is going door to door. It would be a simple introduction possibly with a door hanger if they are not home. I would simply say "I am a local life insurance agent and I'm trying to get out of the office and meet the people in my community. I offer life insurance planning for individuals and businesses. Would you be interested in a life insurance needs analysis and evaluation of your current policy?"

Would something like this work? Give me some advice. What do I put on the door hanger? What should be my starting line? I'm not feeling very creative today:(

The cold-calling door to door that I have done, has worked well by surveying. With an insurance agency it would go something like this:

Knock knock
Hello
Hi, I'm Scott Burke from the Burke Insurance Agency. I'm out today passing out our company inkpens (hand her a pen) and asking if you would mind answering a 5-question survey. (Most are happy to)

Questions you can try:
1. How long have you lived in the area?
2. Do you have dependents that rely on your support?
3. If you own life insurance, was it bought through a local agent?
4. Would you consider your insurance policies to be very structured and organized or random and confusing?
5. (Ask a question that will stimulate their interest) Are you aware that insurance premiums have reduced on some types of life insurance (term) in recent years? Are you familiar with Indiana's Partnership Program for Long-Term Care? Are you comfortable with your knowlege about Medicare Suppliments and Medicare Advantage Plans? Are you aware that Insurance companies now offer a retirement product that is so good that many banks are often recommending it over CDs for many people?

Questions like these will invite discussion in a non-threating mannar. You can follow-up with:
From some of the things we have just talked about, I can see that I may be able to help you. I would like to set a time at your convenience to meet with you and your husband for 15-minutes and explain what I do and how I may be a benefit to you. Would it be OK to meet...

Three things can happen:
Yes - set the appointment
No - No interest at all
Wait (this includes "thinking about it" "we might be moving, switching jobs" "don't call us, we'll call you" "I need to talk to my mother, sister, husband, doctor, etc." - Lots of these, and this is where a good database and follow-up system will turn you into a sales superstar.

There's a lot of great spills stated above. In my experience, I've had the best luck going door to door at small businesses that isn't a busy retail shop.

I was taught not to give them something to say no at in the beginning so I would walk in and introduce that I was from NYL.

1. I know your busy so I don't want to take any of your time.

2. I'm just handing out information. They take it.

3. Can I have a card? I grab the card. (This is where I can see how busy they are and how open they are to talking)

4. If they're busy I just say, have a good day and come back later. Once they see me a couple of times they know how hard a worker I am.

5. I spend so much time on each business client because I'm looking at doing all of their investments - not just term. If I was just selling term I wouldn't be able to eat or spend so much time coming back to all the businesses.

6. People don't decline you. They decline the time. So I wait patiently until these business owners need me.

Last edited:
Back