Doubling Up on Health Insurance, Refund?

darkstar300

I have recently found out was double insured for health insurance with two companies, one being Aetna ($500 deductible) and the other Blue Cross Blue Shield of AZ ($2,500 deductible). I have been paying monthly premiums and submitting claims (not reached deductible) through my employer's plan which is the BCBSAZ insurance. I found out recently that because I am under 26, I may still ride on my parent's plan. I checked my parents plan and I'm insured. I wish they told me earlier. Is it possible to get a refund from BCBSAZ for all my monthly premiums? Also can I transfer my claims to Aetna as the deductible is much lower? I have about $2000 in claims this year so far and may incur more as I'm still not diagnosed for chronic bladder pain. I could possibly use this as leverage... I have not paid any medical bills yet.

Nope. Your employer's insurance while you're on it is your primary insurance. You can run those claims through your parents as a secondary. It may depend on your state laws regarding insurance, but if you're enrolled on your employer's plan that is considered the primary insurance carrier. Your folk's plan would be considered secondary. Could help you out on your deductibles and co-insurance though. Run your claims through them, what's the worst that can happen? every thing stays the same? Give it a shot.
As far as a "leverage" in the words of a famous TV dad.. "don't be a dumbass."

There is no leverage to be had, just insurance laws and collection agencies if you figure you're going to be anything but strait forward. cheers.

Latest posts

Back