Dr Offices refusing certain companies Med Supp

And-them has the absolute WORST e-app I have ever tried to use. Appears they never had a focus group study. They should have invited a group of 65+ folks to try and navigate the app from start to finish. My guess is 90% would never get all the way through.

Still can't get over the number of people who will buy a Medicare plan on the basis of Silver Sneakers.

Still can't get over the number of people who will buy a Medicare plan on the basis of Silver Sneakers.

For people paying $45/mo+ for their gym, who use the gym, it's a no-brainer. It doesn't really move the needle for those with cheap gyms like planet fitness, etc.

It's also interesting that there are people who will want SS and never use it. A good number of clients called me this AEP and we had this conversation:

Client: "Scott - I can't believe it - they are cancelling SilverSneakers on me. This isn't right!"

Me: "Yes, I know, I wish that they wouldn't do that - it's been a great program. Thankfully, we do have some options with SS still - let me pull up the options for you... Ok, we can get you Anthem - same insurance plan - for $130 and they have SS - is that less than your current premium? (I'm pretty sure it is...)?

Client: "I think so"

Me: "Ok, sounds great. You know, we also have it for $103 - same coverage, $27 less, with a company with no SS. I know when you signed up initially with me 4 years ago, you wanted it - do you think that you were able to use the gym a lot?"

Client: "well, I intend to this year."

Me: "you intend to? Ok. Do you think you used it more than 3x per month in 2018? I'm not questioning if you'll use it in 2019 - just trying to think through, with you, whether it's worth the $27 extra..." (don't want to shame them, but... let's get real. They aren't going to the gym.)

Client: "I dont' think I used the gym 3 times in all of 2018 - let alone three times per month (chuckles)."

Ok - well, what do you think about saving the extra $27 and let's just not worry about a gym that we aren't getting a lot of use out of - that's over $300 in savings for you...

For people paying $45/mo+ for their gym, who use the gym, it's a no-brainer. It doesn't really move the needle for those with cheap gyms like planet fitness, etc.

It's also interesting that there are people who will want SS and never use it. A good number of clients called me this AEP and we had this conversation:

Client: "Scott - I can't believe it - they are cancelling SilverSneakers on me. This isn't right!"

Me: "Yes, I know, I wish that they wouldn't do that - it's been a great program. Thankfully, we do have some options with SS still - let me pull up the options for you... Ok, we can get you Anthem - same insurance plan - for $130 and they have SS - is that less than your current premium? (I'm pretty sure it is...)?

Me: "Ok, sounds great. You know, we also have it for $103 - same coverage, $27 less, with a company with no SS. I know when you signed up initially with me 4 years ago, you wanted it - do you think that you were able to use the gym a lot?"

Me: "you intend to? Ok. Do you think you used it more than 3x per month in 2018? I'm not questioning if you'll use it in 2019 - just trying to think through, with you, whether it's worth the $27 extra..." (don't want to shame them, but... let's get real. They aren't going to the gym.)

Client: "I dont' think I used the gym 3 times in all of 2018 - let alone three times per month (chuckles)."

Ok - well, what do you think about saving the extra $27 and let's just not worry about a gym that we aren't getting a lot of use out of - that's over $300 in savings for you...
Silver Sneakers is putting the pressure on companies to keep/offer them.

Yep, it's crazy Scot. I could've saved that couple you had me contact over $70 a month each...but they wanted to keep the SilverSneakers, even though the savings would've more than paid for a gym membership. :laugh:

Getting something for free has a powerful draw. Ask the mouse. He got his head taken off going for the FREE cheese.
Exactly right. And if the client develops health problems that cause him no longer be able to use the "free" gym membership he's paying extra for, he might not qualify to change to a different supplement without the "free" gym membership at a lower price. So then he gets to pay for that "free" gym membership he can no longer use for the rest of his life. Great deal.

I intend to this year."

Every year I say I INTEND to ask Diane Lane for a date but I never get around to it.

Yes, my wife knows about this fantasy, but she gives me permission. Her response is "in your dreams . . ."

to bad cant sell as stand alone

Yeah, I guess.

My feeling about gym memberships is similar to dental insurance. Years ago my dentist said the best dental insurance is regular flossing and brushing.

if the client develops health problems that cause him no longer be able to use the "free" gym membership he's paying extra for, he might not qualify to change to a different supplement without the "free" gym membership at a lower price. So then he gets to pay for that "free" gym membership he can no longer use for the rest of his life. Great deal.

Had a client a few years ago that wanted a plan with SS. She was one who did not go regularly but planned to go. Somewhere around April or May she had a serious injury and would not be able to go for at least 6 months.

In discussing her medical issue she expressed dissatisfaction about how she would not get to go to the gym.

How often were you going?

Oh, I have not gone yet but was just about to start going . . .

Exactly right. And if the client develops health problems that cause him no longer be able to use the "free" gym membership he's paying extra for, he might not qualify to change to a different supplement without the "free" gym membership at a lower price. So then he gets to pay for that "free" gym membership he can no longer use for the rest of his life. Great deal.

Maybe it just depends on the state/city?

Columbus, OH area lowest 65 M Plan G has SS included (Med Mutual) @ 102. And if you don't want that carrier, Anthem is @ 110 as the 7th lowest (with Americo, Lumico, Trans, Sentinel, and Pekin all between 102 and 110). Very easy to make sense out of picking one of those 2.

In NC it's a different story - lowest 65 M Plan G is $102 but the lowest with SS is $126. It's a whole lot harder to make sense of paying extra for SS in NC than it is in OH.

Latest posts

Back