Dressing for the Customer

xrac

Guru
5000 Post Club
Usa
I thought this was a pretty good article about how to dress that is worth sharing if you haven't already seen it. .

"Quote:The advantages of common ground

By Senior Market Advisor | Published February 1, 2008 From the February 1, 2008 Issue of The Senior Market Advisor Magazine
Isaac Asimov, the great science fiction writer and political philosopher, reasoned that all things being equal, we root for our own sex, our own culture, and our own locality.

I think its an excellent article with a great deal of social and practical truth. I also find that a nice pair of slacks with RL Polo shirt will make just about any prospective client feel comfortable.

Interesting post.

At Humana, we wore polos (usually branded with Humana) and slacks. You could dress up if you wanted to. Right before I left they changed their code to say if you were doing a seminar, you were to wear a suit.

At Coventry, it was shirt and tie. No polos.

I mix it up not that I am an independent. Some days I wear a shirt and tie, others I wear a polo. Usually depends on what is clean and the weather.

Interesting post.

At Humana, we wore polos (usually branded with Humana) and slacks. You could dress up if you wanted to. Right before I left they changed their code to say if you were doing a seminar, you were to wear a suit.

At Coventry, it was shirt and tie. No polos.

I mix it up not that I am an independent. Some days I wear a shirt and tie, others I wear a polo. Usually depends on what is clean and the weather.

I think where you work is a big factor in how you should dress. Here in the small town midwest I think suits and ties for the most part are overkill. About the only people who do that anymore are bankers, wirehouse brokers, and lawyers doing court or depositions.

I also mix it up, usually slacks and a button down dress shirt. Depending on client, I may throw on a tie and/or jacket. My core group of clients are machine shops and auto repair/body shops. It's funny and goes against the usual logic, but I find I get a lot more respect and attention wearing the full tie/coat combination. Maybe that has something to do with being young, I'm not sure.

Back