Dropping Mail for Medicare Supplements

MedicareBear

Expert
How do you guys figure out where to drop mail into or where to telemarket? Do you look at the MA penetration numbers on... I believe it was on Medicare.gov?

How do you guys figure out where to drop mail into or where to telemarket? Do you look at the MA penetration numbers on... I believe it was on Medicare.gov?
For DM I pay no attention to MA penetration as I write MA, Med supp, and PDP. For telemarketing it is beneficial to target low MA areas. Medicare.gov does have this info.

If you're using a direct mail company they can tell you which states have the highest average return rate for each of their pieces. If you are going to telemarket, anywhere with lots of people over 65 will do. Don't over think it...

If you're selling by phone, where you can do it anywhere, some factors I consider before marketing include:

1) Companies available there. Ease of E-App, name brand recognition, rates, rate increase history and finally commission.

2) Areas away from big, metro areas. More sparsely populated states without huge population centers are best. You can see population density maps of each state with a simple Google images search, like this one:

"Oklahoma Population Density Map"
Oklahoma_population_map.png

3. If you're relying on direct mail, ask for a breakdown from the DM supplier based on county-by-county. Telemarketing can be dialed in specific to counties, too, and I'd just use the map pictured above, looking for the greener areas. Cross-over opportunity exists where you still get the same intelligence from the DM companies and target the same, high-responding areas with telemarketing either in addition to, or instead of, mailing.

Picking WHERE to market is one key to your success in this business.
"Location, location, location" - is where it starts, at least.

CW

Back