Dual eligible need med sup or no

medsup74

We have Part B from July this year and just got a letter from Medicaid informing that we were approved for Medicare Savings Program. Do we still need to buy a Medigap plan? If so, Can we buy it only in the open enrollment which ends on December 7th or can we buy it anytime? Thanks in advance.

Don't see why a dual would need a med supp - but, if they can afford the premium - why not.

If they are Medicaid eligible - then they may get the extra help for their Part D.

We have Part B from July this year and just got a letter from Medicaid informing that we were approved for Medicare Savings Program. Do we still need to buy a Medigap plan? If so, Can we buy it only in the open enrollment which ends on December 7th or can we buy it anytime? Thanks in advance.

You didn’t say what level of Medicaid eligibility you are ? Are you Fdbe, qmb or slmb ? If you are then you have a special election period every quarter and can get a dsnp with great benefits for no premium

I have two dual clients on Med supps. They both have doctors that don’t take MAPD at all or couldn’t keep them all and both had sons to pay for their Med supp. They’ve been on the Med supp and very happy.

if your doctors takes Medicaid/MAPD, don’t mind prior authorizations, you should be fine.

You didn’t say what level of Medicaid eligibility you are ? Are you Fdbe, qmb or slmb ? If you are then you have a special election period every quarter and can get a dsnp with great benefits for no premium

In NJ you have to have full Medicaid to enroll in a Dual Special Needs Plan (DSNP). Just being on one of the MSP levels isn't enough as these are adjustments to costs for Medicare and not full Medicaid (even though the qualification process is administered by the same department of the aging)

Last edited:
When I was new there was an FMO out of CA and the rep tried to get me to do a mailer said a lot of times you run into people that have Medicaid spend down and showed me how to use the spend down to get supp and dental PDP and such and how it worked

I don't remember that stuff now and I never got into it and I never did that mailer

But apparently, they did a bunch like that

Every quarter except Q4.

Thanks for all replies. They are very helpful. We are QMBs and our status started on Dec 1st but Medicare.gov account and SS account still show no payment from Medicaid. Our premiums are still deducted by our SS checks. Medicare confirmed our QMB status but couldn't figure out why they received no payment from Medicaid yet. Any idea what's going on?

Another question I had was if we can put our Medicare supplemental plan on hold if we can't afford the payment later on. I read online that we can put it on hold for upto 24 months if we qualify for Medicaid.

Back