Dual Eligibles Retention?

saintstigers

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
For those that market for dual eligible mapd, do you find that the retention to be similar to regular medicare mapd or do they tend to drop off since they can change plans whenever they want?

For those that market for dual eligible mapd, do you find that the retention to be similar to regular medicare mapd or do they tend to drop off since they can change plans whenever they want?

You'll lose them all, some faster than others. Those that stay on the books will be calling every few weeks to complain about one thing or another. They'll call you every time they get something in the mail and want you to go see them about it because they cant understand what the letter says. Those that stay with you you'll wish they had dropped. They are the biggest PIA bunch to work with. I don't market to them, but over the years I have acquired a few through referrals or "free leads".

You'll lose them all, some faster than others. Those that stay on the books will be calling every few weeks to complain about one thing or another. They'll call you every time they get something in the mail and want you to go see them about it because they cant understand what the letter says. Those that stay with you you'll wish they had dropped. They are the biggest PIA bunch to work with. I don't market to them, but over the years I have acquired a few through referrals or "free leads".

You use a lot of absolutes that aren't true.
"Lose them all" - I lose about 10% a year. Many have stayed on for more than 5 years.
"They'll call you every time.." - I get a hand full of calls from the same 20%. 80% rarely if ever call. They love the plan and are grateful I helped them.
They are a part of the population that generally have health, financial, and emotional issues. Be kind to them and you will be rewarded. If you think of them as PIA, then you need to rethink why you are in this business.

Yes, some will need some extra hand holding, as with any type of business.

I let them know I represent Many Many companies, and if their situation changes we together will decide if a move is beneficial.

I also stress for them to call me with their needs, I am here to help.

Generally when you enroll you will have a tad more hand holding, making sure they get everything in order, catalog, dental benefits, glasses, etc.

If they receive a letter, I ask them to save or put in the envelope (large legal) that I provide. I place my name, my phone, the carrier name and customer service number in BIG BOLD letters. When they call they can read me the letter (cuz they didn't throw it away) and I ask for the reference number on the letter. With the reference number you can untangle what the letter was addressing. (No need to drive over generally)

I try to touch base about every 6 weeks, with those with no family. Quick phone call, maybe three minutes ... how are you, how is everything going, do you need anything??? (You can leave a message as well)

These folks just want someone to care.
Many folks that are DSNP have no one. They are lonely and yes they will invite agents to their home all day long, to have some one give a hoot.

If you truly do care, they will remain loyal. Will you lose a few here and there, probably. But if you are going to work the DSNP market you will be blessed with many folks who are grateful to have you in their life.

I have a DSNP client that just returned from visiting family in Egypt, she brought me a pair of beautiful earrings, another just had a baby(under 65) she called me from the hospital, another calls me her "Angel"

Yes, there are days you will feel like a social worker. I make sure they are connected with food banks, social ties, heating assistance, etc., if the need is there.

Like any business a handful will drive you crazy, most will call if they have a genuine concern, and many will appear only during AEP.

If you consider them a PITA well then, probably should leave the market alone.

Yes, some will need some extra hand holding, as with any type of business. I let them know I represent Many Many companies, and if their situation changes we together will decide if a move is beneficial. I also stress for them to call me with their needs, I am here to help. Generally when you enroll you will have a tad more hand holding, making sure they get everything in order, catalog, dental benefits, glasses, etc. If they receive a letter, I ask them to save or put in the envelope (large legal) that I provide. I place my name, my phone, the carrier name and customer service number in BIG BOLD letters. When they call they can read me the letter (cuz they didn't throw it away) and I ask for the reference number on the letter. With the reference number you can untangle what the letter was addressing. (No need to drive over generally) I try to touch base about every 6 weeks, with those with no family. Quick phone call, maybe three minutes ... how are you, how is everything going, do you need anything??? (You can leave a message as well) These folks just want someone to care. Many folks that are DSNP have no one. They are lonely and yes they will invite agents to their home all day long, to have some one give a hoot. If you truly do care, they will remain loyal. Will you lose a few here and there, probably. But if you are going to work the DSNP market you will be blessed with many folks who are grateful to have you in their life. I have a DSNP client that just returned from visiting family in Egypt, she brought me a pair of beautiful earrings, another just had a baby(under 65) she called me from the hospital, another calls me her "Angel" Yes, there are days you will feel like a social worker. I make sure they are connected with food banks, social ties, heating assistance, etc., if the need is there. Like any business a handful will drive you crazy, most will call if they have a genuine concern, and many will appear only during AEP. If you consider them a PITA well then, probably should leave the market alone.
what's your experience with retention ?

Most of mine have been sticking pretty good. UHC has a strong SNP program in the area. The only year I lost several was when UHC failed to get contracts signed before the end of the year and folks were moved to other companies. After the first of the year UHC and the hospitals and doctor groups came to terms and signed contracts. I replaced most of the business with people wanting back on the plan and off the one they were moved to.

They do call from time-to-time but that's part of the game. I prefer T65 and Med Supp business but DSNPs help pay the bills.

I did a DSNP mailer recently for UHC in some counties within an hour of mine, since they aren't here yet. A few people got upset with me due to their "skinny" networks (their hospitals aren't in them). They all wanted the rich dental and catalog benefits. The new mailer I just did wasn't carrier specific as I don't want to hear carrying on again.

These people are not good at helping themselves and your work can be easily undone by the next unscrupolous agent that they let in.

----------

If I speak to someone is willing to listen and can appreciate the month I spend getting them qualified then i will do it.

Yep. That's about right.
They can be somewhat needy at times. I don't know if ppl that never market to them know JUST HOW NEEDY they can be. In my market, they are absolutely convinced that they MUST belong to an MAPD DUAL plan. That was def not the case when I marketed in So Calif. like another poster said, a certain percentage will call all of the time, but a good portion do stick with you. They are constantly solicited since every tom, dick and Harry is out to enroll the Duals this time of year.

Back