Dual Eligibles Retention?

For those that market for dual eligible mapd, do you find that the retention to be similar to regular medicare mapd or do they tend to drop off since they can change plans whenever they want?

In my experience, there is not a huge difference in retention between Duals and non Duals.

Some may need a lot of hand holding especially within the first 3 months of joining the plan. When I lose them, its usually within this time period.

Lately, I have lost a few because they lost their Medicaid and longer qualify for the plan.

In a nutshell, I keep most of mine for several years.

Of the national plans, Humana Aetna, UHC, Anthem, which of the plans are the most difficult to work with in terms of clients needing referrals prior authorizitions, issues with getting claims paid, providers etc. Feedback would apply to both the DE SNP and low-zero-premium HMO plans.

Of the national plans, Humana Aetna, UHC, Anthem, which of the plans are the most difficult to work with in terms of clients needing referrals prior authorizitions, issues with getting claims paid, providers etc. Feedback would apply to both the DE SNP and low-zero-premium HMO plans.
That would be VERY SPECIFIC to your area where you market. In some areas, claims and authorizations may be paid through a local medical group or IPA. Those are things that require a bit of research on your part. You can learn this through talking with doctor's offices , your members and other local agents. Three way calls between your Members and Member Services will also give you a sense how easy those companies are to navigate for your members.

Here's an example of a PITA Dual member: Spanish-speaking proposed mb T65 in April. I received this as a Direct Mail lead. I went to the man's house to EXPLAIN his benefits, find out something about him, correct all of the addresses that he had on file with SS and State Medicaid because of all of his moves. Upon the appointment, I learned that he received a phone call from the lazy United Health Agent who simply mailed him the application to complete without explaining what it was. I submitted the last app before Apr 1, so my Amerigroup app took effect after some issues with their cruddy Medicaid verification system. Anyway, I just looked at Medicare.gov again and he's back with United Health as of May 1! This plays itself over again and again in my market, especially since bilingual reps are minted like candy in San Antonio (EVERY Tom, dick and Harry feels that they can do it). I am so sick of the poor sometimes that it breaks my will to help them.

Last edited:
I made well over a 100k this year with 40% 0f my biz ,Duals. UHC DUAL PAYS THE BILLS

How long have you been in the business to get to $100K. I'm fairly new, just over a year and I work a full-time J.O.B.(just over broke) lol My goal is to go full-time in Medicare but I would like to get my residuals up first before I leap in.

Retention is not great, they can be a PITA, they call ALL THE TIME. That is the nature of these customers. Medicaid cancels or changes their coverage constantly, they have to reapply often, causing a need for a plan change/SEP, etc.

It find I can keep my sanity if think of my DE Business as something separate from my regular medicare clients. If you can keep that in mind, they won't seem as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

How long have you been in the business to get to $100K. I'm fairly new, just over a year and I work a full-time J.O.B.(just over broke) lol My goal is to go full-time in Medicare but I would like to get my residuals up first before I leap in.

$100,000/$225= 444 clients. However long it takes to get that many clients. 2 per week is roughly 4.5 years.

I struggle with seeing the benefit of putting a dual in a snp MAPD and think the juice isn't with the squeeze.

I dont think there is a competitive dual product in the St Louis market either. The last few years the big plans, uhc Coventry etc all made a big push to sell a dual snp and then terminated the plan or dropped the comp to $0.

Way too much headache for me so more power to the ones that have success!

I struggle with seeing the benefit of putting a dual in a snp MAPD and think the juice isn't with the squeeze. I dont think there is a competitive dual product in the St Louis market either. The last few years the big plans, uhc Coventry etc all made a big push to sell a dual snp and then terminated the plan or dropped the comp to $0. Way too much headache for me so more power to the ones that have success!

In my area, $1000 dental. $150-200 vision, $460 to order from health products catalog. Most love those extras. If docs in network and meds on list the Dual SNP is a helpful plan.

Back