Edward Jones?

Alsky

Guru
100+ Post Club
Anyone have any info on Edward Jones? Any and all input and opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Al D.

Your best bet is to find those financial forums where the security licensed brokers exchange info. Try top-gun producers.com and there was another one, registered rep.com.

You have to beat the bushes, just like insurance. I even had one guy canvass my neighborhood just a few months ago. I was so surprised....rarely do you see residential canvassing by professionals. (not the JW's, and handyman type). Had to compliment him for being gutsy....and encouraged him, of course.

A financial planner is an insurance guy with a securities license. My take on the matter.

Anyone have any info on Edward Jones? Any and all input and opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Al D.

I know I've had all my retirment accounts with them for years but I'm in the process of yanking it all away. Assholes had me in a bunch of B-shares because I didn't know any better.

That place will fee you to death.

Registered Rep. Magazine conducts a yearly survey of registered representatives guaging their satisfaction of the firms they work for.

Edward Jones and A.G. Edwards are always first and second.

Jones is not perfect, neither is NYL, Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, Ameriprise, BCBS, Assurant, Ohio National, A.G. Edwards...

But they are a good place to be.

At EJ you will not be a securities professional, you will be a prospecting professional. Get used to cold calling and door knocking.

Most guys that are good will use EJ as a spring board to get started, only because they don't know any better. I know a guy that started with them, left and took 90% of his book of business with him and he is now indy. Somehow he dodged the non compete clause.

Yes they will fee the clients to death, which is not generally good for the client. A better choice would be choosing to become a fee only adviser.

My impression of EJ is they want to be the starbucks of investment. They don't care if there are two EJ on the same block. They are trying to be everywhere, which is good and bad. It's good to get the name out there, bad if you're the local EJ guy and find yourself competiting against 3-4 other EJ guys for the same business.

Also I find their fee structure totally screws the client. They are an expensive place to park money.

Well, my personal financial (equities) advisor is a 24 year old EJ guy. He has had his office for 4 years. He is young, honest, and very knowledgeable. How do I know? Because I'm old, honest and very knowledgeable.

This is not an endorsement of EJ. What I'm trying to say is that each office is individually owned... not unlike each independent insurance agent (such as on this board.)

EJ fits my investment philosophy, which is why I do business with them. Then again, I'm probably far more conservative than most of you out there. I like to think that because of my investment philosophy, I'm far wealthier than those of you out there. Of course, I don't know. What I do know is that you MAY want to choose an investment company that matches your own individual philosophy... and then find the broker who 'works' with your own personality and who understands your own personal objectives. That's what I did and it has worked well. YMMV.

As for fees... nothing is free. So long as I get the representation, the integrity, and the advice that I request, I feel I'm getting good value for my money. If you need to manage a large portfolio you want someone who will take the time and make the effort to do a good job. Maybe there are brokers in the large wire houses who will/can do that, but I like to deal with small business people... because I'm a small business "people."

Al
www.insurancesolutions123.com

al3 as a kid I used to think that way about my pc agent who handled my car insurance. Always nice, a great guy. A great guy who drove a porche targa with help from my premium dollars. Taught me about where my money goes.

I don't disagree with some of your statements, but it does make sense to see if your paying fair dinkum for what you're getting. I know your EJ guy's gotta eat, but sirloins not going to hurt him.

al3 as a kid I used to think that way about my pc agent who handled my car insurance. Always nice, a great guy. A great guy who drove a porche targa with help from my premium dollars. Taught me about where my money goes.

I don't disagree with some of your statements, but it does make sense to see if your paying fair dinkum for what you're getting. I know your EJ guy's gotta eat, but sirloins not going to hurt him.

There is truth here in the following passage. You have to search for it, but it's there... and if you see it you will understand why I pay what I pay.

Johnny Ola: Hyman Roth always makes money for his partners. One by one, our old friends are gone. Death, natural or not, prison, deported. Hyman Roth is the only one left, because he always made money for his partners.

Al

PS: Dominic Chianese played Johney Ola in the Godfather II... and Corrado 'Junior' Soprano.

Back