Ehealth and Medicare

They actually moved into the Medicare market a couple of years ago (if not earlier) when they bought medicare dot com.

I believe they have other domains and sites as well but this purchase signaled they were moving forward.

If you have followed their financials over the last couple of years you will find they have faced the same challenges agents and agencies have faced with trying to turn a profit on individual health insurance in Obamaworld.

As for any success they may have, you can bet they will pump a lot of $$$ into promoting their brand. Converting leads may be an issue because they are subject to the same restraints you and I are with regard to marketing, CMS approval, etc.

Of course carriers are not subject to the same rules as agents so carrier $$$ and fewer constraints still give them an advantage.

That being said there are still enough prospects left for us to fight over.

IFP carriers had a love-hate relationship with them before Obamacare. Doubt it changed in 2014.

They loved the volume but hated all the service work that followed. Agents were trained to sell business. Doesn't matter if the client understood what they bought or how long they kept it. Just keep selling.

Before 2014 their IFP business stayed on the books less than 6 months.

I fail to see how things will be different with Medicare.

IFP carriers had a love-hate relationship with them before Obamacare. Doubt it changed in 2014.

They loved the volume but hated all the service work that followed. Agents were trained to sell business. Doesn't matter if the client understood what they bought or how long they kept it. Just keep selling.

Before 2014 their IFP business stayed on the books less than 6 months.

I fail to see how things will be different with Medicare.

I don't see how they'll sell many Med Supps. I checked the rates for my area and they were charging more for HDF's and Plan A than Plan F's run. Most everything was at least 50% higher than we can sell it for.:skeptical:

I haven't run any rates on their site(s) so can't say. I suspect they do the same as One Exchange, using only name brand carriers with high rates.

They appeal to the folks who shop online, only want rates, don't want to be bothered by an agent.

Same client profile they had with IFP.

I don't recall ever losing anyone to eH in the IFP market. Took some away because the person that sold the plan was not the one who answered the phone when they called back for questions. No service after the sale.

My Medigap clients call ANYTIME they have a question. They also give out referrals.

I suspect they will write a fair number of apps but don't see the loyalty that a true Medicare agent develops.

Back