Elevated PSA Level Decline/Postpone... Next Step?

J2727

Super Genius
Male 66 years old
Applied for:
10 year term - $400K
15 year term - $400K​

Just one policy would be OK, but both would be better (would make wife's situation easier).

However, he has elevated PSA level at 6.12. No major health issues, although cholesterol is a little high.

Carrier is declining/postponing until he gets a full prostate work-up done, including a biopsy.
He was a tentative table 2 rating. So, even if he was approved, he was only going to get one of the policies due to the higher premium.

Carrier is AIG.

-------------

However, what are your thoughts...

1) Is there another carrier that would have more lenient underwriting for this scenario?

2) Let's say he does the full work-up and he's denied. Then what? Apply with another carrier?

3) FE face amounts are low. Up to $50,000 I believe; most not even that. I haven't done FE. I'm assuming he would qualify due to simplified underwriting. However, he would need more than $50,000. Can you have more than 1 FE policy, from different carriers?

Male 66 years old
Applied for:
10 year term - $400K
15 year term - $400K​

Just one policy would be OK, but both would be better (would make wife's situation easier).

However, he has elevated PSA level at 6.12. No major health issues, although cholesterol is a little high.

Carrier is declining/postponing until he gets a full prostate work-up done, including a biopsy.
He was a tentative table 2 rating. So, even if he was approved, he was only going to get one of the policies due to the higher premium.

Carrier is AIG.
-------------

However, what are your thoughts...

1) Is there another carrier that would have more lenient underwriting for this scenario?

I'd be very surprised if one would, especially because you'll have to admit to and explain the postpone/decline w/ the new carrier.

2) Let's say he does the full work-up and he's denied. Then what? Apply with another carrier?

Yes, but if it turns out he has prostate cancer, then you're declined everywhere for the next 5-6 years or so at least.

3) FE face amounts are low. Up to $50,000 I believe; most not even that. I haven't done FE. I'm assuming he would qualify due to simplified underwriting. However, he would need more than $50,000. Can you have more than 1 FE policy, from different carriers?

Sure. You can definitely stack policies. No idea on the underwriting for FE but you can certainly buy several if he can afford to do so.

The urologist doesn't think a biopsy is necessary, so the client hasn't had one.

However, the insurance company is requiring it.

The urologist doesn't think a biopsy is necessary, so the client hasn't had one.

Have him get a 4K Score Test. The results will tell him whether he should get a prostate biopsy.

Elevated PSA? 4Kscore Test helps in prostate cancer biopsy decision making

If his medical insurance doesn't cover it, self pay is about $400.

Might not help him get life insurance but, with that high a PSA, he needs to practice a bit of self preservation by investigating the potential for the aggressive type of prostate cancer before deciding on an invasive biopsy.

Someone might take him with an aps from his urologist showing the 6 number has been stable. Biggest concerns with psa are significant fluctuations

He did another test and his PSA level came back at 4.0. It was elevated before at 6.12.

So, the PSA level is normal now.

He didn't do all the things to that could elevate the PSA level.

So, what now?

I'm sending the new lab report to the underwriter to see what they say, but they wanted a prostate biopsy done (when they saw the PSA level as elevated).

Or just apply elsewhere and start again?

He did another test and his PSA level came back at 4.0. It was elevated before at 6.12.

So, the PSA level is normal now.

He didn't do all the things to that could elevate the PSA level.

So, what now?

I'm sending the new lab report to the underwriter to see what they say, but they wanted a prostate biopsy done (when they saw the PSA level as elevated).

Or just apply elsewhere and start again?

I would send the new info to the underwriter.
Did they APS the urologist? If not request they do one. If not see if he can get a letter from his Doc outlining his findings.
Underwriters do not like the unknown. They want to know why the high readings.
Get the labs and all of your info and Quick Quote it out.

I would send the new info to the underwriter.
Did they APS the urologist? If not request they do one. If not see if he can get a letter from his Doc outlining his findings.
Underwriters do not like the unknown. They want to know why the high readings.
Get the labs and all of your info and Quick Quote it out.

They did get an APS from several doctors, including the urologist.

For whatever reason, the PSA level was high before.

Client didn't drink any alcohol, caffeine, have sex, etc. for several weeks and the PSA level was reduced to 4.0.

I'm assuming if the high PSA level was a result of an increased risk of prostate cancer, then the new PSA level wouldn't have reduced as it did??

I'll see about having the urologist writing a letter explaining the new PSA level.

I'll see about having the urologist writing a letter explaining the new PSA level.

I think getting the doctor pro-actively involved is a great idea. The doctor needs to communicate with the life company that is telling him that his patient has a high risk of a deadly health condition.

If the doctor ignores the life company, and then the client gets ill and dies from the problem, I would be concerned about a malpractice lawsuit.

If I was the client, I would want to eliminate any doubts about whether or not he has a serious health condition. I would be pushing my health insurer, based upon this medical difference of opinion, to layout the money to properly and fully diagnose if there is a problem or not.

This is not a bad situation, it's an opportunity to be proactive and get to the bottom of the story.

I had a high PSA reading a few years back. Urologist did a biopsy and found no cancer. Was taking meds for low t at the time. Stopped that and readings have been normal since. Last year got a term policy with Banner issued at p+ rates.

Back