Elevator Pitch Vs. Name, Title, Company

Newandconfused

When cold-callilng, do you introduce yourself as "Jack Smith, I sell home owners insurance for State Farm" or do you use the elevator pitch?

My elevator pitch is "My name is Mary Smith from xyz insurance agency and I help businesses develop game plans to avoid all kinds of threats."

Thoughts/Suggestions? I haven't tried my elev pitch yet on the phone, wondering if it will cause confusion or if i should just go for it.

When cold calling, nobody cares who you are, what you sell, or who you work for....that's about you.

Think about what is important to the homeowner and ask them a question about that to start off.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, law requires you to identify yourself within the first 30 seconds of a call.

I think you have to identify yourself, company and that you are selling something before you make your sales pitch....I don't think asking a question to start off is a sales pitch....you are trying to get them to stay on the line and when they ask who are you, you tell them

..as far as in the first 30 seconds, i dont know if that is correct or not.

I'm running on rough memory on the 30 seconds just based on the annual training we have to do, so I may be wrong on that. I will look into it. I agree that a way to keep them on the phone is always good. I typically integrate the line with my company and info usually. Something along the lines of "Im Jason from XYZ Company and I specialize in helping businesses with peace of mind protection" or whatever you're shooting for. Maybe go in to how you've saved similar businesses money on what they already have while offering better protection in another area.

My elevator pitch is "My name is Mary Smith from xyz insurance agency and I help businesses develop game plans to avoid all kinds of threats."

Since you're calling businesses, you need a 10 second elevator speech. dealbuilders.com has a few samples.

I think you need to be more specific, not saying you help avoid "all kinds" of threats. That's like the real estate agent that says "for all your real estate needs."

If the real estate agent says "specializing in xxxx" then you think 'well if they specialize in that then surely they can help me with what I need.'

So for example, "My name is Mary Smith and I specialize in helping business owners plan their exit strategy well in advance, especially given the various problems that can arise."
-or-
"My name is Mary Smith and I help business owners who hesitant to discuss uncomfortable partnership issues that arise when a partner is unable to work or dies."

As with all cold-calls, expect a negative answer and plan for it, so when they say "no, I'm all set" or "not interested" you reply with something to continue the conversation like -

"I hear that a lot so just before I hang up I'd just like to ask, when you say (I'm all set/not interested/whatever) does that mean your insurance agent setup your buysell funding correctly, making sure the 4 ways to exit your business are covered?"
- or -
"When someone tells me that it usually means they see their insurance agent frequently to review their beneficiary arrangements with current tax law, and update the buy-sell annually. Is that the case here?"

. . . just a few suggestions

"Hello, I'm DHK with XYZ Insurance. Do you have a quick minute to talk?

The reason I'm calling is - you know how .....?

Well, what we do is ...

I was calling to come by, introduce myself and show you more of the kind of work I do."

When cold calling, nobody cares who you are, what you sell, or who you work for....that's about you.

Think about what is important to the homeowner and ask them a question about that to start off.

I totally agree with you. Nobody cares about who you are and what company you represent...they care about what's in it for them. When preparing your elevator pitch, be sure to always present it in an inovative way and include what beneficial to them. Tks..Henry

Back