Eligible for Individual Plan when over 65??

Open Enrollment
New York State law and regulation require that any insurer writing Medigap insurance must accept a Medicare enrollee’s application for coverage at any time throughout the year. Insurers may not deny the applicant a Medigap policy or make any premium rate distinctions because of health status, claims experience, medical condition or whether the applicant is receiving health care services. However, eligibility for policies offered on a group basis is limited to those individuals who are members of the group to which the policy is issued.

A list of insurers offering Medigap insurance along with the premium rates for each plan are provided below. Note that while every Medigap insurer offers both Plan A and B for policies sold before June 01, 2010, and Plans A, B and either C or F for policies sold on or after June 01, 2010, not every company offers all standardized plans.

The Issue is not getting the Med supp its the part B that is being discussed

NY has no underwriting and for Medsupp UHC AARP is the only game in town apart from MA

NY/UHC has no medical questions, we all know this.

My point is I write other companies in NJ for NY residents and get paid full comp.
NY does not allow any company to ask medical questions, No one else is competitive enough to sell med supp in NY unless you write HDF or upstate ny you could sell human medsupp or one of the upstate blue's

NJ is a normal state does not apply to this statement

Your missing my point. I write in both states . UHC comp is much lower then other carriers. If a client signs a paper application in NJ they can get written with certain carriers other then UHC . Your comp will be much higher and the clients premium will be much lower.

Your missing my point. I write in both states . UHC comp is much lower then other carriers. If a client signs a paper application in NJ they can get written with certain carriers other then UHC . Your comp will be much higher and the clients premium will be much lower.

Why are you arguing with me about NJ when I said NJ is not the same as NY, I don't write UHC in NJ unless I have to, What I am saying is IN NY UHC is a must for medsupp

The Issue is not getting the Med supp its the part B that is being discussed

NY has no underwriting and for Medsupp UHC AARP is the only game in town apart from MA
wasn't following well. thanks.

The question is, why didn't these employee's waive off the group at 65 and buy Med Supp's/Part D's? The employer could still pay their premiums. Employer wins and employee wins. I'm guessing the employer either didn't have an agent, or, a stupid agent.

Yeah, I am not getting that, especially for the 80 year old secretary. For some of my small business owners, max IRMAA plus cost of plans plus large RX copays/donut hole plus younger spouse who doesn't work for the company is the financial reason not to do it. But that doesn't sound like the case here. Unless it has something to do with a treatment or drug that isn't covered by Medicare but would be covered by an employer plan? Sounds like one of them is really ill.

I just got involved now as it's a referral from an advisor and I'm in MO but licensed in NY.

It looks like it is just a case of ignorance on their end as to why they aren't on B .

The 80 yr old is very sick apparently on hospice and the other 2 are highest irmaa bracket and pretty healthy .

I think the group premium is like $3000/mo or something .

I had them send the l564 and 40b in to see if they can get B 3-1. I think all this triggered bc uhc audited the group and are asking for documents 3-1 to verify group eligibility.

I feel like the broker in the group dropped the ball big time...

Reactions: DS4
Vic120 I don't argue on the forum ever its not my style. I don't need to argue when I know I am right.

I have many clients that live in NY that I write under a NJ rate with a certain carrier.

And i get a much better comp then uhc.

Back