Email I Just Recieved from Healthspring of TN.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This has been a very interesting year in the MA world because of the health care debate in Washington, the change in congress, and the recent changes in the guidelines from CMS regarding how we are able to go to market and compensate sales people. The guidelines have been more restrictive and obviously makes our lives more difficult but at the same time have worked to reduce the churning and improper marketing that had occurred in the past.

To describe this process as “fluid” would be an understatement. As we received these changes from CMS starting last September we had a lot of experts provide us guidance and their interpretation so that we could put policies and procedures in place. We had a rough start as we responded to CMS with our recommended commission structure only to receive further guidance that required us to change once again. We have been operating under this revised structure in good faith for the last 6 months with what I consider to be great success.

Recently we received new guidance based on the compensation schedules we received from CMS that we use to “true up” our payments for initial vs renewal to the agents. We use the best data we have available when we enroll someone as to whether or not they have been with an MA plan in the past or if this is the first time such as someone “aging in.” The first file we received indicated we were in line with our process and had very few reconciliation issues. The second file was a different story.

CMS has interpreted “like plan” to include those individuals who were enrolled in a PDP plan and not just people enrolled in another MA plan. The actual guidelines are quoted below:

Marketing Guidelines – Chapter 3 – 120.5.5 Compensation Cycle – page 128 – The regulations provide that, after a beneficiary is enrolled in an MA or PDP plan by an agent or broker, a renewal compensation would be paid for five years after the initial compensation year, and that if any agent or broker enrolls the beneficiary in a different plan of a “like plan type” during this first five year period, renewal compensation would be paid. A “like plan type” refers to PDP, MA or MAPD or cost plan.

Based on this additional guidance we have determined that we overpaid agents an initial payment when a renewal payment was required. I believe we are not alone in making this mistake as we have received feedback from other plans that our interpretation was not unique and that they too have had to reconcile their payment schedules.

We recognize this change will cause some anxiety and we will reach out to each of you individually to determine how we can reconcile our schedule of payments. We don’t want to “shock” the market so we will develop a fair and reasonable plan.

I am very sorry for the impact this change will have on each of you and I assure you that this is not taken lightly by HealthSpring. We value our brokers and want to develop a healthy and productive partnership for the years to come. Please expect a call from our management team so we can review the reconciliation process with you and how we can put this issue behind us with as little disruption as possible.

Regards,
44 Vantage Way
Nashville, TN 37228
More from Medicare. More from life

Please expect a call from our management team so we can review the reconciliation process with you and how we can put this issue behind us with as little disruption as possible.

Regards,
44 Vantage Way
Nashville, TN 37228
More from Medicare. More from life

I have no doubt the first words out of their mouth will be:

"Assume the position."

(The male agents here will know what that means. For you female agents, think "OB-GYN" and you will get a clue.)

This is makes me glad I can count the number of MA's that I have written since November on one hand. However a colleague of mine who has written over 200 since November, will not get off so easily. Ironically he lives in Nashville, where the HS corporate office is. Hmm, maybe it is time for him to put to use that condo in Mexico that he claims he has.

If any other agent needs convincing of the MA mess this email should do it.

Marketing Guidelines – Chapter 3 – 120.5.5 Compensation Cycle – page 128 – The regulations provide that, after a beneficiary is enrolled in an MA or PDP plan by an agent or broker, a renewal compensation would be paid for five years after the initial compensation year, and that if any agent or broker enrolls the beneficiary in a different plan of a “like plan type” during this first five year period, renewal compensation would be paid.

And this is what I often refer to as the Rent-A-Agent clause. In five years your client is no longer your client regardless of which plan you help them with. At least with a MedSupp I can replace and get paid for my services after five years. This is not the case with MA or PDP plans.

Now, with this foolish CMS interpretation our clients will be abandoned and left without a trusted advisor at a time in their lives when they need us the most. And this stupid 5 year Rent-A-Agent clause has nothing to do with the original bill that congress passed into law! We all need to read the original bill and ask a simple question of ourselves -- What was congress’s original intent and has CMS interpreted this law correctly? :nah:

I'm sorry for anyone who has been seriously hurt by this, but my opinion for a while has been that MA is for suckers, especially if it is your main product. The possible exception may be if you are a captive agent for one of the big HMO carriers and work in a favorable market. I wonder how many of the agents griping about this will have another go at it only to bend over again and complain again next year.

It appears that since the feds are paying the freight for these programs that they can change the rules any time they like. I was sick and basically unable to work last year, so wouldn't have done much business regardless. When I saw the scope of appt. and "rent a agent" provisions last year, I wrote off writing any more MA's and decided to change my focus if/when I got back into the business.

The way this thing has played out has been rather predictable. Take a product that in many cases has a $0 premium, no underwriting except for ESRD and with hardly any training required to get into the market, and you're asking for trouble, especially when many in the target market unfortunately tend to be a bit too trusting of smiling snake oil salesmen that often do not have their best interest at heart or at best are ignorant of what actually would be in the clients best interest.

Last edited:
It is hard to fathom the degree of incompetence with which this whole MA issue is being handled. Even though I opted out of selling MA's last season, it is no consolation to see the mess that is going on, and the ultimate bearer of it's consequences-- agents. In the end, I have to believe that legal action will be necessary to fulfill the contracted agreements which existed BEFORE all the "revisions" were enacted. I still remember, with some humor, the attempt by Parker & Asses to "assign" renewals to the agency. We had a good laugh over that one...

Back