Employer Paid Months of COBRA Ending, SEP?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
One more piece to puzzle, laid off employee is T65 in April, will be covered by Medicare.

62 YO spouse still needs coverage. Marketplaces is now asking for coverage loss docs same method as other "unresolved inconsistencies", with 90 day window to submit.

I am concerned that since employer was, as explained to me, paying the COBRA premium for the employee until the month he is T65, technically the spouse is still eligible to continue Cobra, which would make spouse ineligible for coverage on Marketplace with tax credit until open enrollment.

A letter from the employer stating their coverage is ending 3/31/16 should be able to be obtained.

She is still eligible for cobra even if he goes on medicare.

Make sure the employer tells the plan administrator that she is staying on Cobra (if she is).

Cancelling coverage doesn't remove the cobra eligibility.

Okay, none of that was the answer you wanted.

Dan

----------

Dang it, forgot to post the link to the reference:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplement...r-insurance/who-pays-first/cobra-7-facts.html

Paragraph 5 of that page.

Especially if there is no way to get the Cobra coverage to be at a rate for one person.

I just sold a policy to someone who was convinced their Cobra for one spouse would be at the employee + spouse rate, which could be so. Retiring employee turning 65 goes on Medicare, younger spouse has to have high age rated coverage for 3 more years.

Back