Enrolling LIS Question

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I have a client that has original medicare only and a Part D prescription plan. She gets full assistance on the prescription plan from Social Security so she doesn't pay any premium and she has the lower prescription copayments. She is not on Medicaid.

She would like to enroll in a MAPD. I thought LIS people could enroll anytime during the year, not just during the AEP, OEP, etc. Does anyone know if they can enroll throughout the year? Also, if anyone has a link that states this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have a client that has original medicare only and a Part D prescription plan. She gets full assistance on the prescription plan from Social Security so she doesn't pay any premium and she has the lower prescription copayments. She is not on Medicaid.

She would like to enroll in a MAPD. I thought LIS people could enroll anytime during the year, not just during the AEP, OEP, etc. Does anyone know if they can enroll throughout the year? Also, if anyone has a link that states this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
You are correct. She can enroll anytime.

As far as a link, check with the carrier you wish to use. They will have this information in writing. I would also suggestion you go to medicare.gov. The rules are there.

Rick

This is one of the few times I will state something opposed to Rick. I think you should look further into this. If someone is on Medicaid, they have unlimited SEP, but I do not think this is extended to LIS.

This is one of the few times I will state something opposed to Rick. I think you should look further into this. If someone is on Medicaid, they have unlimited SEP, but I do not think this is extended to LIS.
I believe I'm correct but now I am not so sure. Perhaps someone (not me) will find out the answer in the CMS literature and post it here.

I don't run into that situation so I haven't tried it.

Rick

I tried looking through CMS but I was having a hard time finding it. They talk alot about dual eligibles but not as much about LIS

I did, and Rick is right, once again! LIS is "Extra Help", and has the same benefits as Medicaid beneficiaries in this situation.

Although this site (Medicare Rights Center) is not the CMS, I think it is reliable.

Thanks you guys....I appreciate the help :) It looks like they have a one time SEP throughout the year rather than being able to switch at anytime. One time is all she needs though.

Back