Epilepsy and New Auto Insurance Quotes

kdeinv

Hello,

I have been told that my auto policy and associated umbrella policy are not going to be renewed due to too many claims on my insurance. My policy covers myself, my wife and my 2 children (One 22 and other 18).

My 22 year old has been diagnosed with epilepsy however it is considered under control because she has been seizure free for the last 6 months per the state of Georgia and is on anti-seizure medicine. She has not driven for a year and 1/2 but I continued to pay the auto policy premiums as though she was. Neither the DMV or current insurance policy know about this medical condition.

My Insurance broker has prepared an insurance quote from another Insurance Company based on my current coverage. (She has not been told about my daughter's epilepsy)

My main concern obviously is for my 22 year olds safety as well as the safety of others. I have been diligent in following the rules of Georgia by not allowing her to drive during the minimum 6 month seizure free period and will probably wait until 10 or 12 months seizure free before allowing her to drive again.

My son is 18 and is in college.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I have to disclose that my 22 year old daughter has been diagnosed with epilepsy or will there be questions when applying for new coverage that will have to be answered related to that? The Dr my daughter is seeing just states that the GA law is 6 months seizure free and he has no responsibility to report to the DMV. (We will be waiting for 10 to 12 months just to be on the safe side).

2. If I want to limit my liability, can I get her a separate policy under her name? Should I put the one car in her name? She will not be a dependent on my taxes this year because she is older than 19 and not in school but she does live with us. (I have been told that she cannot have her own policy if she lives with us) Is that true?.

3. Umbrella policy - May want to increase from $1 million to $2 million if I have to keep her under my family insurance.

My secondary concern is my liability and my disclosure requirements. If I request insurance quotes from a new company will I have to voluntarily disclose this? Or will there be a question as part of the application process to address this issue? If it is a question in the application process then yes I would have to disclose this medical condition. But if not specifically asked, do I still need to voluntarily disclose this to ensure that I am covered in the event of a serious accident?

I have been told that Georgia is a nondisclosure state meaning I do not have to disclose this medical condition unless it is specifically asked for in the application process. I want to comply with the law on what I have to disclose but do not want to disclose if I do not have to in fear of not being able to get insurance or get it at really high rates. If something did happen, god forbid, I do not want the insurance company to deny all claims that may result from any accident due to nondisclosure.

These are some difficult questions and I would appreciate any advice on how to handle a situation like this as I am sure these types of situations are encountered frequently in the auto insurance areas.

Thanks In Advance

Where did the claims come from? This is probably your bigger issue.

Epilepsy: I've never seen a policy application ask this question. I've never worked in GA, so I can't say for sure, but if the DMV allows her to have her license, then you are legally okay. Ethically may be a different story. If the claims are hers, I may suggest letting her license lapse. Remember, its not just her, its the other drivers and children in the cars out on the streets that she may have an incident with. I do know epilepsy can be well managed, so this is a judgement call.

Some carriers will allow resident drivers to not be listed on a policy if they have their own car and their own policy. Most will require her to be excluded on your policy. Some carriers will require she be listed as a driver. Just up to the individual carrier, you have to ask specifically.

Umbrella: If you are being non-renewed due to claims, it might be hard to find an umbrella to go to $2M, but if you can, then yes, well worth it. This does lead me to have ongoing concerns about your daughter driving, if you feel you need to do this because of her, it tells me you have concerns about her ability to drive. Again, I strongly suggest you think about the other drivers on the road. Insuring for them is one thing, protecting them from the possibility of needing your insurance is another.

Limit your liability: Consult a lawyer. In general, she is not your legal responsibility but if you are providing the car and paying the insurance, a lawyer will go after you. Will they succeed? Maybe not, but it can make your life miserable for a while.

Dan

Thanks for the Info.

I am concerned in letting her drive and the risk but at what point do you let her drive if at all? If the medicine is working and she is under control then the risk is probably less than someone with diabetes and/or heart problems.

Her last wreck was 1 1/2 year ago was when she veered off the road and hit a fire hydrant. The witness said it appears she was having a seizure and she did not remember what happened. This is when we took her to a neurologist at emory university and she has been treated with anti-seizure meds.

It is a tough decision for any parent to make.

Thanks

The neurologist just tells us the GA law of the 6 month period and that if she is feeling tired or weird to have friends or family drive her. In GA the Dr does not have to report anything to the DMV.

We have documentation of when her last seizure was in April 2016 and she is currently 7 months seizure free.

Although the Dr. seems to think it is OK for her to drive, he will not have to face the consequences of anything does god for bid happen.

Very tough decision for me and my wife.

Thanks In Advance

I always wish there was an easy answer on these things. This is the same questions every parent of a teenage boy asks themselves when they allow them to take the car out :)

If the doctor feels the meds are resolving the seizures, then I would say it is probably no more of a risk then most new drivers. It is a tough decision and has huge impacts on your family.

Regardless of driving, I certainly hope she is doing well on the meds. Hopefully, she will outgrow the seizures over time, though I'm not sure if it happens at this age.

Dan

I have a daughter that has epilepsy and currently has around 10 per day.

This isn't complicated, your daughter driving is a risk to herself and every else. All insurance issues aside, one seizure at the wheel could literally be fatal and it's not worth the risk.

Just one dad's opinion.

Back