Equitable Med Sup and COPD?

jdeasy

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hanson, Ky
COPD is not listed on their application but they are telling me it's a knockout anyway.

Did I talk to a clueless person at Equitable or is that really the deal?

COPD is not listed on their application but they are telling me it's a knockout anyway.

Clueless. It isn't on the app or underwriting guide. As long as they don't take oxygen, they should be good. I can send you the underwriting guide if needed.

I got a lady preferred with them. She has COPD and takes the usual meds, spiriva, etc and was approved

Last edited:

I agree with Jimmy, but COPD is mentioned in the UW guide, It says COPD with oxygen use is a decline, so the person you talked to is clueless. Theyshould accept that case.

I've learned to call the POS # instead of UW for an UW question.

I agree with Jimmy, but COPD is mentioned in the UW guide, It says COPD with oxygen use is a decline, so the person you talked to is clueless. Theyshould accept that case.

I've learned to call the POS # instead of UW for an UW question.

I had that conversation with her. First she told me it was on the app in section 5. I told her it wasn't in section 5 on the Ky app. I told her the questions were in section 7 and only asked about oxygen which my client is not on. Nor is she a smoker and has never smoked. She says she got COPD from working in a plastics factory.

Then this "underwriter" told me that they will ask about COPD on the phone interview and will decline it. I asked if they would ask about something not on the application and she said yes.

I asked why they had ultimate and standard and she said that was just for insulin use.

I asked her again if she was sure or if I needed to speak with someone else. She said she was 100% sure and anyone else there would tell me the same thing.

She did say that people with COPD are usually on a lot of meds for it. I told her I agreed but this lady was not. Still insisted it was a decline.

I had that conversation with her. First she told me it was on the app in section 5. I told her it wasn't in section 5 on the Ky app. I told her the questions were in section 7 and only asked about oxygen which my client is not on. Nor is she a smoker and has never smoked. She says she got COPD from working in a plastics factory.

Then this "underwriter" told me that they will ask about COPD on the phone interview and will decline it. I asked if they would ask about something not on the application and she said yes.

I asked why they had ultimate and standard and she said that was just for insulin use.

I asked her again if she was sure or if I needed to speak with someone else. She said she was 100% sure and anyone else there would tell me the same thing.

She is an *** then, but that does not surprise me. I called in with the same questions and they told me they don't ask about it. My lady got Ultimate.

She did say that people with COPD are usually on a lot of meds for it. I told her I agreed but this lady was not. Still insisted it was a decline.

Try calling the POS #866-551-1781 and see if you get the same answer.

She definitely didn't know what she was talking about. Equitable is a go to company for COPD as long as there is no oxygen use.

Equitable is the go to for Copd as long as no oxygen. I had 1 a couple months ago got declined from Aetna because she smokes and has Copd. I did equitable and got instant approval for smoker rate.

Any carrier can have a hiccup and you can get an underwriter that doesn't know or doesn't understand.

I have had more run in's with Eq than other carriers but still use them as my #2 carrier.

Jimmy, I am curious how you got a COPD with Spiriva approved. They declined one of mine last year that used Spriva for asthma. When I talked to the underwriter he said Spiriva is an auto-decline.

Why?

Because it is used for COPD and CHF.

But it is also used for asthma.

We just ASSUME it is for CHF.

That sent me through the roof. Stopped using them for a few months. Back again but more cautious.

Back