Erie Agents Are You Captive?

newbieIA

I am looking to join Erie for agency program, are they captive?

Can you join a cluster with some direct codes if you are with Erie as a new scratch agency?

I am thinking of doing some volume and i need 1-3 carriers to supplemental a main carrier, but not sure if they will allow it.

Does any current Erie agents know?

I would discuss with your Erie Rep. I know this is obvious but they can tell you what they will allow and you will know it is legit. I am friends with a Sr. Erie Rep and he would be glad to shoot you straight if you asked. I would expect his colleagues to do the same.

Gulliver

I am looking to join Erie for agency program, are they captive?

Can you join a cluster with some direct codes if you are with Erie as a new scratch agency?

I am thinking of doing some volume and i need 1-3 carriers to supplemental a main carrier, but not sure if they will allow it.

Does any current Erie agents know?

Erie agencies are not captive... But they are going to require that they be your main carrier

I am looking to join Erie for agency program, are they captive? Can you join a cluster with some direct codes if you are with Erie as a new scratch agency? I am thinking of doing some volume and i need 1-3 carriers to supplemental a main carrier, but not sure if they will allow it. Does any current Erie agents know?

If you are starting on their search program you will not be able to go direct with other carriers for the first 2 years.

What state are you in?

My understanding as I recently talked with an Erie rep is as long as your taking the extra incentives/subsidy in the first 1-4 years your not allowed to bring on Amy additional standard carriers.

With that said if you don't take the incentive you are allowed to add standard carriers. But think about it if your a brand new start up how/why would a standard carrier even give you consideration? They will want a requirement/plus Erie will want a requirement so it would make it very difficult to add additional carrier's.

So while your truly captive in all senses you are captive. With that said I've heard nothing but great things about them both in pl as well as in commercial

Left Allstate to go scartch with Erie. Only had Erie,
Progressive, Foremost, National General and ASI for 2 years while on their enhanced commission program. I got off it a year early and added Safeco and Harleysville, which turned into Allied as well that next year.

Erie will always be my top company and not just because of rates and bonuses, but also because of who they are. They have great policies/coverages for clients as well as great customer service and claims.

Today I have about 15 different companies and I still have my personal insurance with Erie and have no plan to ever change that. I wouldn't trade Erie for anyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Insurance Forums

I compete against Erie daily. They are a good company. However , I have seen them take rate consistently over the last few years. You also need to consider their underwriting guidelines. They are stricter than most. But at the same time it keeps the primo clients on the books. If you are Indy, I don't see any better choice to look at than Erie.

I’m trying to gather all the information I can in regard to requirements and possibilities with Erie. I can make a real impact with a contract in my opinion. My office location area is rural where people want to meet with an agent and do business face to face. Can anyone point me in a direction to make the most at an attempt to get this Erie contract?

Hello Everyone,

I am a licensed agent/producer in SC, NC, and VA and currently I’m appointed to Erie Insurance under an independent agent. We have other carriers but they are my main carrier. I’m opening my own independent office and was wondering if anyone knew if Erie could simply transfer the appointment (best case scenario) to my new agency being I’m already appointed or wouldp they require me to go through the lengthy 6-9 mos apppintment process?

I write a good amount of business with them (250K a year in 2018) so I was hoping they would make it easy for me.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Back