Erie vs Kemper

I am going to add one of these companies to my agency this year and I would like agent feedback on both. I like certain things about both companies, but can not decide which to chose. I am a NC agent, but would like feedback from any state.

I am looking for feedback on the following for each company:

1. Ease of doing business.
2. Competitiveness.
3. Compensation
4. Claims service
5. Agent relationship

Thanks!

1 vote for Erie, they've hit a bump in the road the last few years with agent relationships, etc but they're on the way to recovery. Very strong company, underwriting, claims, etc I've been with them over 20 years and would choose them as my #1 all over again. FYI, we also have Safeco, Farmers, Travelers and Donegal and only the regional carrier Donegal can come close.

I'm in Pa and NY, plans to go online will likely move ahead in 2009 according to the powers at be. Erie hired a top notch IT guy after the x-CEO's men blew +$50 mil. on a failed IT project. I would look for a newer, less top heavy Erie in the near future as we hope they'll non-renew some division officers contracts and streamline operating systems. Truth be told, Erie is still behind the curve with technology but they have devoted most resources to fixing that issue. Core values at Erie are like no other company you'll contract with IMO.

I actually didn't even know Kemper was still around the P&C, I think they sold their PA book a few years back.

Safeco we've had for 7 years, Travelers less than 2 and I can only compare them to Erie which is not even fair !! I'm used to calling "my underwriter" at Erie and getting things done. Erie will allow me to keep an unprofitable line for a client if the entire account is profitable, etc. Safeco and Travelers have the products and sometimes the pricing, it's the support where they are lacking IMO. When you have special circumstances that need addressed, forget Travelers and Safeco their models do not allow any variation. Travelers and Safeco make me a little leary with their track record of implementing programs and then pulling them off the shelf a few years later(moratoriums,etc.)

Binding coverage is not a problem with either. Actually, both web rating systems check mvr's/clue reports prior to binding so binder cancels are a thing of the past.

I am going to add one of these companies to my agency this year and I would like agent feedback on both. I like certain things about both companies, but can not decide which to chose. I am a NC agent, but would like feedback from any state.

I am looking for feedback on the following for each company:

1. Ease of doing business.
2. Competitiveness.
3. Compensation
4. Claims service
5. Agent relationship

Thanks!

Did you add Erie and if so what has been your experience?

Back