Esophageal Cancer/Laryngectomy Underwriting Questions

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

This is a new one for me and I had a hard time understanding the client on the phone(electronic speaking device) and underwriting is closed, hence some of my questions here.

I have spoken with underwriting and they all tell me, except 1 company that if "stoma" or hole in neck, its a decline.

1. Is there usually a "stoma" or hole with this health situation? (esophageal cancer & laryngectomy, speaks with electronic device)

2. With esophagael cancer and had laryngectomy, would that be considered a metastasis or is/could it be the result of damage from radiation or any other treatment?

Or is the larynx part of the esophagus?

3. Anybody have experience with the same type of situation and can let me know what to ask/look for, and/or what company if any?

Health history:

Esophageal cancer 20 years ago. Had laryngectomy and now speaks with an electronic device. Free and clear of cancer for 20 years.

Not sure about: lymph nodes involved, metastasis, or if "stoma"/hole.

Med's: Thyroid hormones & HBP

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is a tough one and only an underwriter can be of help.
I'd call a few companies and tell them what you know and have them tell you what additional information they would need in order to make a decision. They will tell you what questions to ask.

Cancer, with no reoccurrence 20 years out is a good sign. If you have troule understanding him and he is married, ask to speak with his wife. Or, send him a letter or email with the required information and ask him to respond that way.

According to the Medical Dictionary a stoma is:
When the entire larynx must be surgically removed, an opening is surgically created in the neck so that the windpipe can be brought out to the neck. This opening is called the stoma.

I believe in order for someone to use an electronic speaking device, a stoma is required.

Back