estate planning

Lawyers are very sensitive about non lawyers giving specific estate planning recommendations.

Often it wouldn't be necessary if the lawyers were pro active in helping their clients understand their estate planning options. I work quite a bit in the estate planning arena and never met an attorney that was sensitive about this unless as long you knew what you were talking about weren't trying to practice law.

Lawyers are very sensitive about non lawyers giving specific estate planning recommendations.

Often it wouldn't be necessary if the lawyers were pro active in helping their clients understand their estate planning options. I work quite a bit in the estate planning arena and never met an attorney that was sensitive about this unless as long you knew what you were talking about weren't trying to practice law.

That is what I said, but I used less words. :yes: I will expand ;)

If you are giving specific estate planning advise, which includes the recommendation and/or preparation of legal documents like POA's, Wills, Trusts, TOD Deeds, ect. you are stepping on the toes of lawyers and in the business of practicing law without a license. I too work in the estate planning area and I tread carefully in those areas. Helping clients understand options is one thing, advice is another. Passing on common knowledge is ok, but making specific recommendations is quite another in the eyes of a lawyer.

Regarding NAFEP - I am looking at their site, and I don't quite understand it. Of course, I can understand "setting up an association and offering a certification course for a fee" because that's what many associations do, but NAFEP is also offering services in the form of product - trusts, LLCs, etc.

Therefore, without further investigation, I would have to argue that the features of the association would be set up simply as a marketing ploy. (Gee, where have I seen crap like that before, could it be....Broker's Choice????)

Tell me where I'm wrong here.

I would think simply taking the one estate planning class for the CFP designation would be a better route. Many local universities offer certification programs that are either aligned with the PFP or CFP designations.

I'm not recommending it, was simply posting the only online certification course I knew of.

CFP is certainly a great option, but requires a lot of non online course work and time. Perhaps a lot more involved than the original question inferred.

I keep abreast of estate planning information by subscribing to a lot of blogs, mostly written by lawyers. A wide variety of information from great sources are available with simple searches within the blog reader of your choice.

No harm, no foul, I just never know where people are coming from so I threw it out there. IMHO. It would be very interesting to hear what "real" EP attys have to say about the NAFEP?

Back