Ethical Question About Call Center Work

bobtcat2

So I have recently begun working at one of those call centers that "shops several carriers for the customer." So basically an insurer that has partnerships with four other insurers. Of course agent commissions are double for the main company's policies.

I was watching an agent today as part of my training. She pulls up a quote and the main company's quote is about $1500/year, versus a Progressive quote that came back at about 1100. She told the caller "it looks like a policy with company XYZ is your best option." Note, she didn't say it was the lowest price, or that it was lower in price than Progressive, so there was no direct lie. Customer bought the policy.

So... is there an ethical problem here? I know what she did is permitted but it didn't leave me warm and fuzzy.:nah:

Progressive sucks. She was probably doing him a favor.

What sucks about them? Customer service? Claims payout? Do you think they're bad enough to warrant paying that much more for another carrier?

----------

What sucks about them? Customer service? Claims payout? Do you think they're bad enough to warrant paying that much more for another carrier?

Really thinking hard about this one.

Then you should know what Progressive covers.

I'm new to insurance. I know Progressive in theory is supposed to cover the same as the other company. Same limits, same options, same coverage, but cheaper. I guess the question is, does Progressive handle claims so poorly and/or unfairly to justify paying more to get coverage elsewhere?

Reading contracts is definitely what you want to do. I just started in insurance a year ago and found myself going back and looking into the details of our carriers constantly. You have quality coverage shoppers and lowest price shoppers, people who want every detail and people who just want to get it over with. I just try to present the benefits of each and let them customer make the decisions.

Back