EV Takes 4 Days to Charge

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
In a viral video from a YouTube channel that specializes in electric vehicles, a man who tries to plug the Hummer into his home to charge finds it will take, at best, one day to charge — and that’s with special equipment installed.

Without it, you could be there for four days.

The video begins with standard 120V charging — or Level 1 charging, to use official jargon. This is the standard current your home already offers.

“Right now it’s about 6 p.m. on Tuesday,” the man says. “And it says it will be full by Saturday at 10:55 [p.m.], which is four-plus days of charging. Wow.”

Man Plugs $80k+ Electric Truck Into His House, Finds Out It Will Take Over 4 Days to Charge

While being CAPABLE for charging on 120v, Sedans like the Volt charge on 120 overnight. Tesla charges on 240v overnight.

GMC tells you on a 120v you can charge about 100 miles overnight for the Hummer.

I mean, let's be real here... What logical person thinks you would be capable of charging with the same effectiveness a Hummer vs a Volt?

Hummer EV weight 9k, Volt weighs 3500

Volt 149 hp
Hummer EV 1k HP.

Volt has an 18.9 kwh battery
Hummer has a 212.7 kwh battery

Think of it like this, if you're trying to fill a bucket and you use a smaller hose, it takes longer than a larger one.

Same deal. If you try to fill a tub with the same smaller hose, it takes MUCH longer than the bucket.

I don't care how advanced your charging system the energy input is the bottleneck.

C'mon.

However, even the argument about coal based energy in electricity vs gasoline effects on the environment, EV still comes out ahead long term when it comes to environmental impact.

Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars?

Renewable energy is a faster growth market than non-renewable forms of energy.

I know I'm touching on a large swath of topics here, but I think it's important to have a macro view on the criticism vs the micro.

Last edited:
Sounds like the man failed to read the owners manual before purchasing.

My buddies tesla fully charges overnight. Im pretty sure the new F150 lightning charges overnight as well.

He is a dumbass for not checking the specs of an $80k truck before purchasing it.

Last edited:
I don't own an EV as my primary or even as a secondary. Mainly because it make no sense for me. Sure the People's Republic is forcing California citizens to comply or walk.

If the infrastructure was there I would consider it. But it is not. Not even close and California is the leader in EV.

My market is primarily the middle income family market. Working people. Some but few EVs as the primary.

I am curious how many Insurance agents have an EV as their primary? And are you F2F or telephone?

Oh also, I may be looking to replace my wife's small suv crossover it does not seem to be a lot of hybrids out there. Wouldn't they make more sense?

Dumb ass for buying an EV before the infrastructure is ready?

That is a design issue with that specific car. You can charge 90% of EVs overnight in your home.

No "infrastructure issue" for local travel... which is the majority of travel in the US.

Average person drives 30 miles a day.

With a 315mi range tesla, that means 1 overnight recharge every 10.5 days for the average person..... costing less than $20 in electricity.

Good thing he is not on the east coast during evacuation. Or California in the path of a wild fire.

Or one of the little people that use a truck in their blue collar life and life in a rented place.

Fire, Ready, Aim!

You do realize nobody is forcing you to own an EV right? The law in CA does not force you to own one.

300 miles would be plenty far to evacuate from the hurricane for most people. I would guess a wildfire as well.

Are you aware of the gas shortages that happen during a hurricane evacuation? The hours long lines that occur at gas stations prior to storms? See, I can play that game too.

The reality is that an EV is not yet right for everyone or all situations. But most people could easily drive an EV as their daily driver for local commutes.

I am curious how many Insurance agents have an EV as their primary? And are you F2F or telephone?

I would guess most agents do not drive over 300 miles a day. Which means most could if they wanted to.

Right now, most families still need at least 1 gas car for travel. I personally know a handful of people who use an EV for daily driving. Most of them own a gas car as well, even if its just the wifes car (or vice versa). My area (deeply conservative) is starting to see a lot more families incorporating an EV for one spouse and gas for the other.

I would guess most agents do not drive over 300 miles a day. Which means most could if they wanted to.

Right now, most families still need at least 1 gas car for travel. I personally know a handful of people who use an EV for daily driving. Most of them own a gas car as well, even if its just the wifes car (or vice versa). My area (deeply conservative) is starting to see a lot more families incorporating an EV for one spouse and gas for the other.

Same. A handful here in liberal California. Again the most EVs of any state. Probably multiple state combined.

You are correct. Like no vacs no work, no money. No one is forcing EV. Daddy government.

Back