Ever sell a Frig to an Eskimo?

Desmond Doss

Super Genius
Gonna be sorry I posted this--have gone for weeks without getting my face ripped off! Ah well...here goes

Told my Broker/buddy this story and-he said MAN YOU COULD SELL A FRIG TO AN ESKIMO!!

And I told him that has already been done. Years ago. A guy noticed the Inuits had a hard time keeping meats from freezing so hard it cant be cut. He found a Frig would insulate it just enough the meat was usable.

What caused the remark was I told him I sold a $20K FE policy to a client with net worth of $2M

WHAAAAT?? How did you do that? I said I proposed it and---

Client said "what the HECK do I need with $20,000 insurance? "

I said "In your case its a liquidity issue. The day after you die, do you want your wife to go to your Advisor and hear 'well this asset is tied up for another 7 months, this one has an option coming up, this one is way down and this one has an early term clause' etc---OR do you want her to just lay down a paper at the Funeral home and its paid for? "

He said "DANG thats a good point!--where do I sign?"

Gonna be sorry I posted this--have gone for weeks without getting my face ripped off! Ah well...here goes

Told my Broker/buddy this story and-he said MAN YOU COULD SELL A FRIG TO AN ESKIMO!!

And I told him that has already been done. Years ago. A guy noticed the Inuits had a hard time keeping meats from freezing so hard it cant be cut. He found a Frig would insulate it just enough the meat was usable.

What caused the remark was I told him I sold a $20K FE policy to a client with net worth of $2M

WHAAAAT?? How did you do that? I said I proposed it and---

Client said "what the HECK do I need with $20,000 insurance? "

I said "In your case its a liquidity issue. The day after you die, do you want your wife to go to your Advisor and hear 'well this asset is tied up for another 7 months, this one has an option coming up, this one is way down and this one has an early term clause' etc---OR do you want her to just lay down a paper at the Funeral home and its paid for? "

He said "DANG thats a good point!--where do I sign?"
When I first started in 1971, our weekly premium polices had a sight draft on them. The funeral director could fill it out, take it to the bank and cash it the same as a check.. We could issue $1500 and the average cost for a funeral was around $1000. I sold many of them to people who were fairly wealthy or had quite a bit of other insurance.. I used the dame reasoning you used and also told them the last thing you want is for your wife to take your $100K policy and lay it on the funeral directors death. In the first place it is none of his business how much you have and in the second place, he may well try to up sell your wife simply because he knows she can pay for it.

Can you all COOL it a little. So I assume eskimos might also have to keep polar bears from getting to their edible meats. A good "ice box" could deter them a little...anther reason eskimos might need to buy a "Frig"?.
You gotta find "reasons" why a product or service is needed...if you can't find it, that's probably not a good prospect to "sell"

Back