Exam Study Tips for the Overwhelmed?

farmerslane23

I am about 2/3 of the way through my P&C course and feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information, as well as the tricky questions. It's been awhile since I've been in school, and while the book I'm using is fine, the video lectures are pretty short.

Anybody have any tips for studying that really helped you? Doesn't even have to be specifically P&C, just how to tackle such a large amount of information?

It's pretty time-intensive as it's a lot of info and it's based more on law/history than just what you would think intuitively.

What works well for me is taking notes. Whenever I write something down I remember it 10x better, doesn't even matter if I never review my notes.

Then take tons of practice tests. Tons.

Also I'd say that I had the hardest time with the P&C exam out of all of them. Could just be me but my securities licenses were very easy, life and health were a bit harder, and then P&C was by far the hardest. I've heard conflicting opinions about those but most do seem to agree that P&C is the most difficult.

Several of the CSRs in my office are still CSRs because they can't seem to pass it. I agree that it does have a surprising amount of law. It also has a lot of "this coverage for this $ limit" and I find it difficult remembering which limits are in each policy.

I am taking notes on every chapter. I don't think I can use them again, as my handwriting is pretty atrocious. I'm thinking about making a printed study guide for each major policy type, with the forms, conditions, additional coverages, optional coverages and any keywords.

I am about 2/3 of the way through my P&C course and feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information, as well as the tricky questions. It's been awhile since I've been in school, and while the book I'm using is fine, the video lectures are pretty short.

Anybody have any tips for studying that really helped you? Doesn't even have to be specifically P&C, just how to tackle such a large amount of information?

Are you doing anyone of this online? If so, which website?

Tests taking skills are the most important aspect to approaching these exams. I always tell my students to Stop, Slow Down, Read Every Word and Know What the Question is Asking. Next is to eliminate answers and get it down to 2 to choose from.
There are a lot of numbers a dates you need to know. Being able to compartmentalize and organize them is the key. Think of it being like when you learned your multiplication tables. You memorized a table of numbers and you can probably recite them without having to think(at least up to 12). This test is the same thing, except for words. You need to be able to associate your numbers and words with specific types of policies or coverages. I hope this helps some people in preparing for their exam.

This might sound silly, and it sort of is, but one of the tricks I tell people is to memorize the most common times last. The reason being: if 40% of the time frames are 30 days for example, and you memorize all of the other ones, you can feel good about guessing "30 days" when you run across one you don't know.
Not sure if that makes sense as I type it. It's not great general advice, but I tell that to students who feel very overwhelmed by all of the different numbers.

Testeachers now ExamFx is the best! I passed my P&C on the first try and H&L with a 93%. Their 'cram course' is very close to the state exam you will take. I highly recommend them!

Latest posts

Back