Excel Question Regarding Moving Data

ineedhelp

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I ordered a list of T65 folks tob called for medicare supps. I have the names, birth month and birth year on the spreadsheet, but he birth month's are randomly listed. Is there a way in Excel to list birth dates to be listed from earliest mo. to last mo.?

I ordered a list of T65 folks tob called for medicare supps. I have the names, birth month and birth year on the spreadsheet, but he birth month's are randomly listed. Is there a way in Excel to list birth dates to be listed from earliest mo. to last mo.?

Add a column and then use an excel formula to extract the month.

=Month(whatever cell has the dob in it)

Then copy the formula down the full spreadsheet. This is easily done by double clicking the very lower left corner of the cell with the formula in it. When you mouse over it, the cursor will change to a cross hair thing, then when you double click, it will fill that column, copying the formula down the column, increasing the referenced cell.

From there, you can sort by birth month.

Dan

Click on DATA in the toolbar on top,
Click on SORT
Click on column having the month
Click on A-Z.

Click on DATA in the toolbar on top,
Click on SORT
Click on column having the month
Click on A-Z.

True dat, but you gotta select a range of columns or cells first and then select the one column that you want to sort by. Otherwise the one column you sort by arranges ascending of descending but disconnects from the rest of the info in the other columns. Always a biitch when you do that, especially if you did not save an an unaltered copy of the original. Nothing like trying to unscramble an egg.

Also, if your column will not sort by date, make sure the entire column is formatted as "date". If it is formatted as text or something like that, then that dog won't hunt. Just click on the column letter if needed and go to format, date, etc.

Last edited:
Back