Exemption Question on Minimum Essential Coverage

Hi Experts, I have a couple here with green cards, but they will spend half of year outside of the US. if they choose to cancel the insurance coverage during this period. will they get a tax penalty when they file the tax?

where can I find the exemption form for this situation?

Thanks!

Hi Experts, I have a couple here with green cards, but they will spend half of year outside of the US. if they choose to cancel the insurance coverage during this period. will they get a tax penalty when they file the tax?

where can I find the exemption form for this situation?

Thanks!

As far as I understand it, their legal residency is the state in which they reside in the U.S. and as such the Individual Mandate is in effect. If the couple is uninsured for more than 3 months in the year, they are penalized.
If they are in the U.S or not is irrelevant.

As far as I understand it, their legal residency is the state in which they reside in the U.S. and as such the Individual Mandate is in effect. If the couple is uninsured for more than 3 months in the year, they are penalized.
If they are in the U.S or not is irrelevant.

Once again... failure to provide accurate information.... get out now!

okay. I called CoveredCA and the representative told me that individual mandate only applied to people actually and physically in the U.S. and my client won't be penalized for the period when they are abroad and not having health insurance in the U.S.
Looks like the representative was wrong??

Once again... failure to provide accurate information.... get out now!

Found this which refers to your question:
"If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), and pay your taxes in the US, you are required to have a qualified health insurance, irrespective of whether or not you live in the U.S. on a long term basis or you visit USA only for a few months a year".
ObamaCare For Green Card Holders, Permanent Residents

Found this which refers to your question:
"If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), and pay your taxes in the US, you are required to have a qualified health insurance, irrespective of whether or not you live in the U.S. on a long term basis or you visit USA only for a few months a year".
ObamaCare For Green Card Holders, Permanent Residents

and your source again for that rook?... a freeking sales website.... we use more qualified sources... like the feds

10000 bucks and i will mentor you...

In this forum do a search on word 1095-B
And if they earn $ in usa and file tax returns in usa then for 2014 taxes they are going to be asked about this form if they have one. If they cant get a 1095 from their insurer there may be a penalty. They should seek a qualified tax person. But this is all new paperwork to deal with.

and your source again for that rook?... a freeking sales website.... we use more qualified sources... like the feds

10000 bucks and i will mentor you...

I will run up the bidding. I bid $15,000 for Peeler Plan mentoring about winning at the ACA.

Back