Expense Deductions for Taxes

The most common is mileage, but you're going to want to have a good accountant to handle this stuff. Home office and partial use of phone are good ones too. For example, I do use my phone for personal things, but it's 80% (at least) for business, so my tax guy says to write that portion off.

Any business expense is usually tax deductible.

The most common is mileage, but you're going to want to have a good accountant to handle this stuff. Home office and partial use of phone are good ones too. For example, I do use my phone for personal things, but it's 80% (at least) for business, so my tax guy says to write that portion off.

Any business expense is usually tax deductible.

Whats a good number to use for mileage? :skeptical:

Dress clothes normally don't count unless you have company logos on them. Meals generally don't count unless you are discussing business.

Exactly.

You're out running appointments and you grab a bite to eat, no dice. If you're buying a client/referral source/etc dinner and discussing business, good to go.

Whats a good number to use for mileage? :skeptical:

I have claimed around 20,000 every year and haven't been audited yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Exactly.

You're out running appointments and you grab a bite to eat, no dice. If you're buying a client/referral source/etc dinner and discussing business, good to go.

I deduct all of my meals that are over 25 miles from home.

Last edited:
I deduct all of my meals that are over 25 miles from home.

If audited you'll likely be disallowed those. I'm not sure what the mileage requirement is, but I believe a part of it is that you stayed the night in a hotel at least 100 miles away? Something of that nature. It's probably a good idea to talk to your tax person about it. If you don't have one, you should get one, they basically pay for themselves.

Back