Experience with American Income Life?

Re: American Income Life

AIL's highest producing shop nationally is not too far from me outside of Cleveland....I know of a couple of people who had a "stint" there.

Like most life companies, they pay out total comp on each life sale of around 130-140% of annual premium, the young producing rep only receives 50%. The life policies are a whole life product and perform about as badly as I've seen......their illustrated values on these products don't even "break even" at the twenty year mark....ie the cash value isn't even equal to premiums paid, and thats what they illustrate...who knows about actual performance.

Their niche market of marketing to union employees is actually smart based upon the product. No disrespect, my father and most of my family are blue-collar workers...the company knows that the average American or slightly educated person would not buy this product...so lets sell it to the poor old chumps who don't know any better.

If you want to market to the union marketplace (I don't, but it would be a great place to begin a career) why not show them a much better product and make a higher commission. Someone needs to help the working man protect his family. Its a shame that sub-par companies like AIL are one of the few companies with a stranglehold on this market.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Wow....johnj sounds like to typical AIL recruit! It's like their all cut from the same mold...I'm guessing he's a confident, former athlete, who was attracted to the "brotherhood" at AIL.

Johnj....trust me when I say I don't think you have a clue about the income or business IQ of "most" of the posters on this board. There is a whole other world of insurance outside of the niche you've been focusing on. Instead of selling to the "rank and file" imagine how much fun & money you would have if you only met with the owners of factories like your calling on.

Last edited:
I did get my start with American Income. I could see right away it wasn't going to work. A lot of shady things going on, horrible products, tons of driving and hours. Someone did mention the food bank they collect from each member. I seen more agents take the food home than then the gave out. Most of the agents needed it, cause of lack of selling. That and a $500 a month gas bill. Stay away.

They almost got me convinced after the first interview. They called me 5 times the next 24 hours to come back in for a "2nd" interview. When I told them I was contemplating on working with another company, lo and behold, they just had to bad mouth the other company.

If you are even remotely thinking of working for them, I suggest do your due diligence before pulling the trigger. You will be glad you did!

I worked for AIL for a little less than 6 months. AIL asked me to fill out a survey explaining why I left the company. This is what I sent them. It represents my opinion of the "good" the "bad" and the "ugly". If anyone finds this helpful--that's great. I stress this is only my opinion of my experience at the Tigard Oregon office.

Hi! Since my writing is terrible and you went to the trouble of sending this survey out-I thought I would take the time to type out my comments more clearly than I wrote them.

These remarks will follow the template of your survey.

American Income was NOT my first experience in sales. While the sales incentives offered were not the “best” I’ve ever had--they were better than average and so I rate them as “good”. I would rate, “management advancement“ “motivation” and “products” the same. “Lead provisions” are without doubt, second to none.

I was an agent for about six months. My average income taking into account gas expense and appointment costs but NOT taking into account taxes and automobile depreciation was in the 8-9hundred a week range.

I left American Income because I was dissatisfied with the income earned as divided by the hours put in to earn it.

I also left because they paid us as independent contractors but treated us like minimum wage Wal-Mart workers. Matt Phleuger stated to me once that “the problem with most insurance agents was that they tended to want to think for themselves”.

You can put me in that group by the way, along with most people willing to work for full commission.

I personally feel that when we are compensated as independent contractors, we should be treated with respect and consideration--not looked down upon like army privates.

Roland makes it clear that the initial training period is intense and I agree that such a training period is reasonable. But after the training period, enough should be enough.

The last straw for me was the progressively endless and irrelevant meetings. An insight into Tiffany’s mindset about these meetings can be gained from her custom at the end of the meetings to scream “BREAK”! and clap her hands together as if she were reliving her glory years on the junior high girls basketball team. These meetings were about Tiffany’s ego far more than they ever were about improving sales.

If you or she doubts that--I double dog dare you to make the meetings optional. (for trained agents working on commission) Independent agents interested in increasing their income would happily, eagerly and gratefully attend such meetings--if they found the meetings productive and helpful.

If TR’s meetings are so helpful and she’s such a bad-assed closer, why can’t she rely on and accept the results of persuasion in getting people to attend the meetings in the same way the company expects us to rely on and accept the results of persuasion in order to earn income?

The answer is--she knows the meetings suck and no one would attend them if they could avoid doing so. The bottom line is that if you’re not willing to pay me to attend them that is your option. As a 100% commission, independent agent, whether or not I attend them--should be mine.

Roland made it clear that the only way to avoid the meetings is to sever the relationship with AIL.

DONE!-and with no regrets.

Training in my opinion was thorough and complete. While training was a team effort, and I always had access to management during that period most of my training came from Hal Minor. He did a creditable job as did Tiffany and everyone else involved. While I was not observed, two weeks after being sent out on my own, I don’t feel it was necessary.

We were not trained to call our policy holders to conserve business. My manager did not review my weekly advance report and my A&P report with me.

While there were some get-togethers, most of them involved the consumption of alcohol, something I didn’t do before commuting the 45 minutes to Saint Helens where I live.

What I liked the best about AIL was Tiffany’s policy about setting appointments. Agents were expected to learn how to set appointments and then, after graduating to a certain level of sales success, given the option of paying for the appointments set by others. If we didn’t like the appointments we got, we always had the option of setting our own. “Perfect” imo.

I also do not fault Tiffany’s own personal work ethic. She worked at least as hard as anyone there and harder than most. I do not feel that Tiffany was anything less than honest with me.

On the negative, other than what I already said, I find it outrageous that AIL withholds 25% of our commissions in a fund to pay for charge backs and I’ve just received a letter telling me that despite that with holding I owe AIL over a thousand dollars! That is for about six months of work. I find that to be incredible! I’m not questioning your accounting*My guess is that the nature of our clientele combined with the package we’re offering (the renewable and re-convertible term that “blows up” in ten years and the resulting word-of-mouth about it )and the incredibly strong closing techniques are resulting in shaky business that falls out quickly. I never experienced anything like that with the other insurance carriers I’ve worked for.

My guess is that the thousand dollars, over and above the 25% already with held is about standard and explains why no one ever talked about my weekly advances or A&P.

If the average agent found that out, your attrition would be even higher than it is. So much for your vaunted “residuals”.

To the questions in your survey, I’ll add two of my own.

1) Would I recommend the AIL opportunity to a friend? Answer, “no”.

2) Do I regret working for AIL Answer, “no”. I picked up some valuable experience and much needed confidence in the use of the phone. I’ll take that experience with me to other opportunities. My only regret is that I didn’t face my own dissatisfactions and separate a little sooner.

Regards, Rich

*I've just communicated with someone who is friendly towards AIL. This individual has suggested that the reason my accounts may show that I owe AIL is that the MGA Tiffany, may have re-coded the accounts to her name so as to get paid the residuals on them. IOW everything that "fell out" was counted against me but the business that I wrote that stuck that would have counter-acted that, may now be "hers" The only way I could check on this would be to log into AIL's website and check my business. BUT TIFFANY EXPLAINED THAT THIS PARTICULAR OFFICE "DOES NOT USE THE WEBSITE" THEREFORE I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS SINCE I NEVER REGISTERED ON IT. I CAN'T SAY CONCEALING THE THEFT OF MY BUSINESS WOULD BE WHY WE NEVER USED THE WEBSITE BUT IT CERTAINLY COULD BE

""The only way I could check on this would be to log into AIL's website and check my business.""

Been there! Alway, Always keep your own files. Then you could always send out a "just wanted to let you know" letter to your clients. or call them. Depending on any non-compete. No even sure that would stop me.

I worked for AIL for a little less than 6 months. AIL asked me to fill out a survey explaining why I left the company. This is what I sent them. It represents my opinion of the "good" the "bad" and the "ugly". If anyone finds this helpful--that's great. I stress this is only my opinion of my experience at the Tigard Oregon office.

Hi! Since my writing is terrible and you went to the trouble of sending this survey out-I thought I would take the time to type out my comments more clearly than I wrote them.

These remarks will follow the template of your survey.

American Income was NOT my first experience in sales. While the sales incentives offered were not the “best” I’ve ever had--they were better than average and so I rate them as “good”. I would rate, “management advancement“ “motivation” and “products” the same. “Lead provisions” are without doubt, second to none.

I was an agent for about six months. My average income taking into account gas expense and appointment costs but NOT taking into account taxes and automobile depreciation was in the 8-9hundred a week range.

I left American Income because I was dissatisfied with the income earned as divided by the hours put in to earn it.

I also left because they paid us as independent contractors but treated us like minimum wage Wal-Mart workers. Matt Phleuger stated to me once that “the problem with most insurance agents was that they tended to want to think for themselves”.

You can put me in that group by the way, along with most people willing to work for full commission.

I personally feel that when we are compensated as independent contractors, we should be treated with respect and consideration--not looked down upon like army privates.

Roland makes it clear that the initial training period is intense and I agree that such a training period is reasonable. But after the training period, enough should be enough.

The last straw for me was the progressively endless and irrelevant meetings. An insight into Tiffany’s mindset about these meetings can be gained from her custom at the end of the meetings to scream “BREAK”! and clap her hands together as if she were reliving her glory years on the junior high girls basketball team. These meetings were about Tiffany’s ego far more than they ever were about improving sales.

If you or she doubts that--I double dog dare you to make the meetings optional. (for trained agents working on commission) Independent agents interested in increasing their income would happily, eagerly and gratefully attend such meetings--if they found the meetings productive and helpful.

If TR’s meetings are so helpful and she’s such a bad-assed closer, why can’t she rely on and accept the results of persuasion in getting people to attend the meetings in the same way the company expects us to rely on and accept the results of persuasion in order to earn income?

The answer is--she knows the meetings suck and no one would attend them if they could avoid doing so. The bottom line is that if you’re not willing to pay me to attend them that is your option. As a 100% commission, independent agent, whether or not I attend them--should be mine.

Roland made it clear that the only way to avoid the meetings is to sever the relationship with AIL.

DONE!-and with no regrets.

Training in my opinion was thorough and complete. While training was a team effort, and I always had access to management during that period most of my training came from Hal Minor. He did a creditable job as did Tiffany and everyone else involved. While I was not observed, two weeks after being sent out on my own, I don’t feel it was necessary.

We were not trained to call our policy holders to conserve business. My manager did not review my weekly advance report and my A&P report with me.

While there were some get-togethers, most of them involved the consumption of alcohol, something I didn’t do before commuting the 45 minutes to Saint Helens where I live.

What I liked the best about AIL was Tiffany’s policy about setting appointments. Agents were expected to learn how to set appointments and then, after graduating to a certain level of sales success, given the option of paying for the appointments set by others. If we didn’t like the appointments we got, we always had the option of setting our own. “Perfect” imo.

I also do not fault Tiffany’s own personal work ethic. She worked at least as hard as anyone there and harder than most. I do not feel that Tiffany was anything less than honest with me.

On the negative, other than what I already said, I find it outrageous that AIL withholds 25% of our commissions in a fund to pay for charge backs and I’ve just received a letter telling me that despite that with holding I owe AIL over a thousand dollars! That is for about six months of work. I find that to be incredible! I’m not questioning your accounting*My guess is that the nature of our clientele combined with the package we’re offering (the renewable and re-convertible term that “blows up” in ten years and the resulting word-of-mouth about it )and the incredibly strong closing techniques are resulting in shaky business that falls out quickly. I never experienced anything like that with the other insurance carriers I’ve worked for.

My guess is that the thousand dollars, over and above the 25% already with held is about standard and explains why no one ever talked about my weekly advances or A&P.

If the average agent found that out, your attrition would be even higher than it is. So much for your vaunted “residuals”.

To the questions in your survey, I’ll add two of my own.

1) Would I recommend the AIL opportunity to a friend? Answer, “no”.

2) Do I regret working for AIL Answer, “no”. I picked up some valuable experience and much needed confidence in the use of the phone. I’ll take that experience with me to other opportunities. My only regret is that I didn’t face my own dissatisfactions and separate a little sooner.

Regards, Rich

*I've just communicated with someone who is friendly towards AIL. This individual has suggested that the reason my accounts may show that I owe AIL is that the MGA Tiffany, may have re-coded the accounts to her name so as to get paid the residuals on them. IOW everything that "fell out" was counted against me but the business that I wrote that stuck that would have counter-acted that, may now be "hers" The only way I could check on this would be to log into AIL's website and check my business. BUT TIFFANY EXPLAINED THAT THIS PARTICULAR OFFICE "DOES NOT USE THE WEBSITE" THEREFORE I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS SINCE I NEVER REGISTERED ON IT. I CAN'T SAY CONCEALING THE THEFT OF MY BUSINESS WOULD BE WHY WE NEVER USED THE WEBSITE BUT IT CERTAINLY COULD BE

Wino says,

Been there! Alway, Always keep your own files. Then you could always send out a "just wanted to let you know" letter to your clients. or call them.

Thanks wino, but the reason I would need to see the website is to find out if Tiffany "recoded" my "good" business to herself. If I could check the files and discover that all of the business I wrote, "fell -out" that would be a pretty strong indicator that she indeed took the business that didn't. I rather doubt "all" of my business would have canceled--get it?

I really don't care all that much. Once I quit within the year, I disqualify myself for ever receiving those residuals anyway so it's not all that big a deal to me if Tiffany gets them.

For all I know her bosses know that's going on and are glad to throw her the extra money. If they want to conspire to steal from Torchmark's stockholders that's their Karma to deal with.

On the other hand if any of that ever comes back on me in the form of some kind of collections notice--you can bet I'll be all over it.

Foodserver -""On the other hand if any of that ever comes back on me in the form of some kind of collections notice--you can bet I'll be all over it.""

My guess is that they will come after you. Did you write any friends of family? Have them call in to the HO and ask who their agent of record is. That may come up as Tiff. If they came after me I would pillage that book of business. Honestly like Primerica, AIL would be very easy to rewrite and the clients would most likely be better off.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am a vengeful crusty old Insurance vet. Sounds like you learned to sell and work. That makes you the WINNER!

I worked for AIL in the early 90's when Bernie Rappaport ran the company. I am disappointed to here some of the horror stories from agents and clients. It was a great little company that took care of their agents and mostly union member clients. It is really sad to hear how things have changed.

Wino,

Thanks for the advice but I'm hoping it won't become necessary. If I asked the company to show me all of my business and their records came back with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY CONTRACTS DROPPING OUT, I doubt that would be credible to corporate.

No brag, but I wrote a fair amount of business. It would be stretching quite a bit for anyone to claim that ALL of what I wrote fell out. My guess is that if anything funny like that is going on (re-coding) The last thing they would do is risk someone complaining and therefore, spilling the beans to the stockholders. That is what makes me think they won't try to collect this "debt". The letter I received merely told me that I would be responsible for it if I ever tried to sell insurance again.

To put it mildly, I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.

Anyway, that's the way I've got it figured, and I'm sure you at least HOPE I"m right. I appreciate your concerns and I'll definitely keep your advice in mind. Oregon is a small community and you can bet there is some business that is easy for me to keep track of. Tiffany is too smart to risk all she has going for her for the relative pennies my residuals would bring her. If she is re-coding , I wouldn't expect her bosses to do anything silly like trying to collect a "debt" from me.

Re: American Income Life

I had an "interview" with American Income Life today, and was asked back for a second more detailed interview.

From what I was told, they exclusively sell life, diability, cancer, and other similiar insurance products to the members of over 20,000 unions. They stated that there is no cold calling, and they provide all of the leads.

They said that I will find out all of the details at the next meeting, but they said that you will be reimbursed for your health insurance premiums after 3 months and have a draw/commissions system of pay. They also said that it is not MLM like Primerica.

What do you guys/girls know about this company and what should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
I spent a short time with AIL. I was in the Portland office, not Tigard. The management is you and helpful. Some things to watch out for. When they tell you you are going to be reimbursed, what they mean is when you go out in the field for the firstime, the will give you a deal until you are reimbursed. They have training, however, it is disorganized and comes in no specific organized way, prepare to train your self. You'll be given a script to learn and you will have to sit in front of a video camera, maybe 20 times until you memorize word for word. The no cold calls mean they give you leads that are up to two years old. They primarily work with the referals you get or the child safe boxes you put out. They expect 20/30 boxes. The turnover is extremely high and it is mostly kids. Hope this helps. If you need any more questions answered just email me. John

Latest posts

Back