Experienced Agent Looking for Appointments

brookssmith

Hey everyone. Forum newbie here. I have about 10 years experience in P&C here in Florida. I am starting my own agency but obviously will need to find a few direct carriers to work with. I am running into an interesting problem where some of the UW I currently work with may not be able to work with me at my new agency because they requesting 3 plus years of operational history which I obviously do not have. Plus they do not want the current agency to feel like the carrier is letting me go after their prospects/clients. That's not really my plan, but it is a fair concern on their part.

I specialize in construction and write state wide. What I REALLY need is someone to write the small trade contractors directly and not through a broker. Auto Owners is out for now because they work with my former agency - plus the whole 3 year rule.

I either need some direct market suggestions, or do you know of ways to sweet talk an UW into giving me a shot? Case of Scotch maybe?

I also have a few former clients that are making the jump with me so I should have "some" leverage here, but I need to have a home to put them first. These former clients are larger though, so they probably would not fit with a carrier writing small artisan guys.

Also how strict is Summit with appointments? I have had good experience with them in the past.

I find it hard to believe that you been in the business 10 years, and apparently dont know the difference between a U/W and a company rep......

Brooksmith, please disregard the post from RBA. He is going through some personal issues and last I heard he is seeking professional help so please try to understand his rudeness.

Now back to your question, dude, you're in Florida and seeking appointments from major carriers and I am sorry to break it to you but you won't get it from the major players. Your best bet will be to join a cluster such as SIAA and/or find an agency that can and is willing to broker the business to you. Good luck.

Hey GRF, you bafoon, there is a MAJOR difference in a U/W and a Company rep.

I have never had a U/W offer me a contract, thats a company reps job, so shut your pie hole.....

You wanna mess with RBA, you shall feel the rath punk

It is very difficult to get appointments in Florida right now. A friend of mine used to work at summit (left a few months ago) and he told me they hadn't appointed a new agent in over 3 years and aren't looking to anytime soon. For your small artisan contractors contact American Vehicle ( i think they go by Federated National now) they offer 20% commission on their Artisan program.

Back