Experienced Independent Life Insurance Agent Seeking New Mentor (Phoenix, AZ)

wln417, do you have any recommendations? The last lead company that promised me quality leads (Insurance Leads | Hometown Quotes - Honest Trusted Quality) was the one I referred to in my initial post that was sending me the names of people who never requested anything. Previous to that, was a local IMO in the Phoenix Metro area that would continuously send out duplicate leads without crediting or refunding me when I called them out on it.

I'm open to looking into any IMO or other agency you can recommend so long as my upline engages with me and genuinely takes an interest in my further development.

The higher quality mentors will prefer someone who has the right attitude, who is not brain washed by the buy term invest the difference thinking. It is easier to mentor someone new than you. Having said that, I have seen some people make the change successfully. It mostly depends on your attitude. You already have a bad fast ball. You know that the person who coached you before were no good. Now you can look for the right coach who can fix your fast ball one thing at a time, or you can find a coach who has trained hundreds from scratch his way. There are just more coaches in the latter group, you have to make the mental adjustment. When you come up with list of demands, the latter group of coaches will have no interest in you.

Of course I wouldn't make it at a title loan agency...for the same reason I couldn't make FE work for me: I actually have a conscience that refuses to even entertain the idea of making a living as a glorified conman.

It's no coincidence nearly every financial advisor (including Dave Ramsey) shares the same sentiment and tell their clients to stay the hell away from whole life insurance. It's a scam. So yes, DHK, I do apologetically have a closed mind when it comes to final expense, which is not anything I feel I should be ashamed of.

Walthamny, I really do not have an issue getting signed on with another agency. How else do you suppose I move forward? I don't plan on being a complete nomad. I just have some very serious concerns with the lack of integrity I have encountered in the past from some of the shadiest agencies in the marketplace. I've been burned and f**ked over in the no-too-distant past. As a result, my guard up and am extremely selective at this point.

I just wrote a couple FE policies on a couple. One of the first questions was "is this term". Then I get the Primerica story and how her mother died with no insurance. Also how the "agent" told them that people over 65 could not but insurance. Was he uninformed, uneducated or a lier? Does not matter, the client lost.

Term is just one tool.

Antireed, you are right in wanting to be ethical in your endeavor. Experienced agents know this is a requirement for effective sales. We get to experience success through an humble spirit. You seem to be a good fellow with drive and conviction, and I applaud that. You seem hungry to learn, and that's great. You recognize the need for a mentor. Good! What DHK, Wino, myself and 90% of experienced agents take issue with is your demands are asking the equivalent of making out the syllabus for a class you need! I believe you will have a fulfilling career, but you MUST change the approach. You will never learn what you need if you are dictating what you are going to learn. Good luck to you! Will be glad to chat with you anytime!

.....senior citizens who are too uninformed to know that their dollar would stretch a lot farther if they were to buy a term life policy and invest the difference in savings in a tax-deferred investment vehicle.
Do you really think senior citizens are better served buying term?
Also, I hope that's not your domain name for selling term life insurance.

I'm going to play "Devil's Advocate" for a second.

Look, there is so much misinformation out there. And we're ALL (all should be) afraid to screw over our clients. And the more that AGENTS feel screwed and misled, the more we look to our foundational beliefs of what we wanted to accomplish when we got into this business.

So, we start by saying "Term insurance is good, and no one will disagree with that premise."

But do we close our minds to other things? Yes, but only until we can study it in such a way that we can understand the appropriate use and market for these products. Sometimes that takes someone else to show us how these products can work, for whom they work best, and how to ethically structure and present the strategy.

Every legitimate financial product has a market and at least 1 appropriate strategy behind it. It's our job as agents to keep learning so we can figure it out.

I used to be "brainwashed" against UL policies, but I never said I wouldn't ever sell them. Through this forum, I learned how to structure a UL policy correctly for the benefit of the client.

So, it's okay to keep a narrow focus in the beginning. In fact, it's essential to keep focus and get the job done. But eventually, one should want to study all the different facets and strategies available through our products that no one else can provide.

I was totally against variable annuities 15 years ago. Now under some circumstances they are the best solution for the client. One thing I have learned is not to have strong black and white opinions. Usually people coming from asset management side have strong opinions on risk management. They don't see the value. People coming from risk management side, never quite understand how markets work. Instead of having hours wasted on CE credits, Financial advisors should be required to take a course on commonsense and psychology every year.

This guy wants to only sell term, so why fight it? Let him sell what he believes in - term - now, and he can learn the virtues of permanent life later. Then he can go back and convert his term clients.

If he never gets converted, then he can keep selling term.

Nothing wrong with that.

This guy wants to only sell term, so why fight it? Let him sell what he believes in - term - now, and he can learn the virtues of permanent life later. Then he can go back and convert his term clients.

If he never gets converted, then he can keep selling term.

Nothing wrong with that.

I agree. I think the blowback if the attitude that he knows what he is saying. But I agree, there is a huge market for term. Inventory.

Hello, It is refreshing to see someone asking for a mentor than assuming they have it all figured out! :) You obviously have encountered some of those folks in the industry that make the good eggs look bad! I have been in the industry for 30 years and understand your questions and concerns. Whole life, final expense is not always the answer! You can pm me and I would be happy to share with you some ideas depending on what your goals are! :)

Back