F2F Enrollment Only on MAPD

Our guys that sell over the phone always do a physical app for MAPD and mail it out. They have had zero issues with doing it this way. I see the problem though as Humana managers apparently have their own rules from area to area, whether real or contrived.

How do they get around the SOA Humana requires (even though we know it's only been required for F2F - Humana has a different interpretation) and what do they do about the Agent Signature date and Appointment date on the SOA? What about the submitting of the app within 24-48 hours of it being dated (other carriers apps ask what date the agent received the app and we have to submit it within 24-48 hours of that date)? And what do the agents list as appointment type in the Agent section of the app?

All other carriers here in Georgia seem to be ok with mailing enrollment kits. Although UHC frowns upon it, but will allow it if warranted. I emailed UHC compliance a few years ago and was told, while not ideal, if it is necessary and a full presentation is completed over the phone, they will allow it.

----------

So your guys, go over the presentation with the client over the phone, complete the paper app, mail it to client for signature and wait for them to mail it back to you? Do you send SOA with the paper app or before?

I can't speak for his guys, but for the carriers who allow mailing of enrollment kits, I'll review things over the phone and send them an enrollment kit. I instruct them in my cover letter (and while we're on the phone) to call me when they receive it and we'll go over the Summary of Benefits.

I also supply them with a postage paid return envelope to mail the application back to me. And I don't typically include a scope since I'm not meeting with them F2F. Some carriers even ask if a scope wasn't received, why you didn't get it. They understand that if the agent isn't meeting F2F with the client, no scope is required. So you simply list that the enrollment kit was mailed and you didn't meet with them F2F. Never had a problem with those carriers.

It's only Humana who seems to have a problem with it (depending on who you ask).

Also use a generic scope not the Humana supplied one. Humanas scope takes longer to fill out than the app!

Since I'm sure that Humana has the opportunity to read this forum let me state publicly that although I believe they are wrong, I will abide by their rules.

Rick

I've sold Humana for years; I've never done a F2F with a beneficiary. I present over the phone and over the internet in a screenshare - then either do the online enrollment or mail the app if need be. If they ever screw me on my commissions (well, more so than usual) I'll kick them to the curb.

Also use a generic scope not the Humana supplied one. Humanas scope takes longer to fill out than the app!
I have always used generic scopes only. At my first face-to-face certification with them about three years ago they wanted them mailed separate from the faxed app. One of my agents at his first certification last fall was told by their trainer that generic scopes are shredded, no need to send. Two other agents--different classes, same market--were told to write "generic" on the app where the scope bar code number goes, which I'd never heard before and have never done.

The inconsistencies regarding something so important are no longer surprising they're so common.

Back