Facebook As a Contact Portal? - Not Sales

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Opinions please.

OK, first I am not a web site guy. I have no idea what SEO is. Nor am I trying to get leads from the internet, Yet.

I have a free Linkedin account I use to look up contact info on clients. I have had some old clients contact me through it as well.

I see a lot of companies have FB accounts as sort of a website lite.

My question is do any of you use Facebook as a place for clients to find and contact you? Any examples of FB pages?

I am not looking to sell, just a place that I can be found by my clients. Maybe post some small pieces of info and useful links. I get Facebook invites all the time from clients. This would be a link I add to my Email signature.

Thanks

Here's the scoop on FB - go ahead and create a business page. It's one of those things that takes minutes to create, you can include it on your email signature and it's not gonna do a bit of harm.

Beyond that, I wouldn't waste another minute on it.

I hear you. Just looking for some examples so that I spend the least amount of time and get it right the first time.

Thanks,

Lee

Here's the scoop on FB - go ahead and create a business page. It's one of those things that takes minutes to create, you can include it on your email signature and it's not gonna do a bit of harm.

First part, good.

Second part, not good.

I'm watching this and other social media space very VERY closely. When FB is attracting 1 MILLION new members a DAY, they are doing something that needs to be watched. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to harness the power yet, but you'd be foolish to ignore it. Get a page up about your agency, pay attention to the opportunities to market it through FB and one day soon, you will be in high cotton if you do it right.

And you're also missing out if you're not on all the other social media sites like linkedin, meetup (great for networking), and a host of others. I think agents who are participating in this space will have a great payoff...it's just not clear how to get there from here yet. I know I'll be one of the agents because this is changing the game. It's THAT big, IMO.

It's easy to dismiss it as a waste of time, but think about this. Turn on the TV and see how big companies are advertising their online presence. It's facebook.com/dell or whatever.

But yea, it's probably going nowhere... ;)

Last edited:
This is a bit like saying your insurance booth will do GREAT at the state fair because there's countless thousands of people. After paying 5K for the booth, you just can't figure out where everyone's walking by "Free Life Quotes" to head for the rides or get cotton candy? Don't they get it? Life insurance is important! Right.

Wrong.

Yes, millions and millions on facebook - to see whether or not their ex girlfriend in high school has packed on 50 pounds - not to buy your insurance products. But knock yourself out. If if you want to come across as a d-bag, go ahead and keep updating your personal page with insurance nonsense your friends and family don't want to hear about.

Last edited:
Every day yes....but once in a while pays off...wrote a life plan on a childhood friend of mine off my personal FB site.....

If if you want to come across as a d-bag, go ahead and keep updating your personal page with insurance nonsense your friends and family don't want to hear about.

This is a bit like saying your insurance booth will do GREAT at the state fair because there's countless thousands of people. After paying 5K for the booth, you just can't figure out where everyone's walking by "Free Life Quotes" to head for the rides or get cotton candy? Don't they get it? Life insurance is important! Right.

Wrong.

Yes, millions and millions on facebook - to see whether or not their ex girlfriend in high school has packed on 50 pounds - not to buy your insurance products. But knock yourself out. If if you want to come across as a d-bag, go ahead and keep updating your personal page with insurance nonsense your friends and family don't want to hear about.

Your comparison to the state fair isn't a valid comparison. The ability to put up a page about your company is free. Not 5k. The key is not to set the expectations in the stratosphere by putting up a FB page. Just like you shouldn't do that for the state fair.

There are some big things that are going to come from social media. Denying it won't make it any less true. We just don't know 'exactly' how it will happen. I have a background in high-tech, so I'm keen on such things and am thinking every day at least in some way, how to exploit these technologies. Any agent who doesn't embrace these things, at least on some level, is going to be missing out, sitting there in their pj's cold calling...just like they've always done...to get the things they've always gotten.

Latest posts

Back