Fact Finding Worksheet

I'm assuming you're referring to commercial (physical meetings being more common than in personal). Pen and paper, maybe a fact finder depending on risk/size, etc. At a minimum there are some property Q/A's you can knock out that aren't found on the dec's - COPE - construction, occupancy, protection..I forget the E..lets call it square footage.

If it's a risk you specialize in you'll know what to ask. If not, do a little research into the industry and/or see if your markets have any supplemental apps they'll need completed.

If it is a larger risk do they have a safety program? How have the losses been?

Get a little more specific on the items you need in order to have a 'complete' application to secure the market, and leave some topics for later discussion (e.g. the specifics of their fleet safety program or details on the large reserve on an open claim).

Some people take out tablets now a days but I have a hunch you'll score more points with the prospect if you whip out a broad-winged hawk feather-pen and throw down an ink fountain. I have some for sale, PM me if interested!!

Yes - commercial meetings. I have a worksheet I use for personal lines already. .

Just curious what other agents due. I have a worksheet PDF I put together for Restaurants which incorporates all COPE (E for Exposure) info. I basically broke down coverage needs for a restaurant and identified what lines of business would be needed. Pulled every supplemental from carriers I represent and mashed it all together in one form. I have started making it fillable for use on a laptop or tablet. I was considering doing other for my target markets.

I can do yellow pad and paper, but with restaurants each carrier I use has different UW questions. I attempted to use the accord restaurant supplemental , even that lacked some questions. Also - I hate collecting Dec pages. I have better success when doing this worksheet and having the customer engage in what limits and coverage they want vs. copying what the other guy has

So what does everyone else do or use for risks they target?

IMHO you might hate collecting Dec pages, but you are doing yourself and the customer a disservice if you dont alteast attempt to look through them.

Think of it this way. You have a great conversation about all the coverages the owner wants and expects. Then you pull out the dec page and half of them aren't there. What do you think that does to his/her opinion of the incumbent agent?

Just because I hate something does not mean I do not do it. I just find when I meet with a client and start from scratch that I have better success then being concerned with what the prior agent offered.

Back